PC case and cpu suggestion

Dawid Komendera 21:11 20 Jun 2018

Hi I want to build PC, these are the parts I am about to order:

ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING Motherboard 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4 Memory ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL O.C. 6GB Intel i5 8600K Coffee Lake 6 Core CPU 1TB Seagate ST1000NM0011 Constellation ES Enterprise 24x7 Hard Drive 120GB Kingston A400 Solid State Drive

Can you help me with suggestions regarding the CPU choice and case please? Is 600W enough or do I need more power? Is midi case big enough for these parts or do I need a large one?

Thank you in advance

Paul Westfield 11:30 22 Jun 2018

Hi David, All looks OK. I would go for a 750w Power supply - you may not need it now, but it would help to future proof - espeically if you're a game or video/photo editor. Performance video cards take more juice.

Are you sure 120Gb is large enough disk? hhhmm. A typical Windows install + office + various apps will eat up anywhere between 50-80gb YMMV.

Midi size case should be fine. Most people will get towers (typically) for the extra hard drive bays.

Dawid Komendera 17:06 22 Jun 2018

Thank you for your reply. I am building PC only for gaming, I'm not into editing videos or photos. I was also wondering about CPU cooler. Do you think Cooler Master Hyper 212X will be enough for my i5 8600k?

Paul Westfield 07:49 23 Jun 2018

Based on your rig. That cooler should keep your CPU temp to around 50C (at 100% CPU - not overclocked) with an ambient temp of 24C.

Much like the whole build, it does depend on the requirements of the games you want to play to get the best overall performance & FPS. For example, you may want an i7 rather than an i5 CPU and a more expensive video card, not to say that the one you have chosen is "Bad" but as you know there's always a better video card!

I hope this helps.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)