Pc case

micky1432 12:15 15 Oct 2008

My son has just got a secondhand pc case with all different displays on it Can any one tell me where you put the extra wires in the case like one says cpu another hard drive etc all the wires have like copper ends with a plastic coating on them He says he thinks he knows but id like to check first

howard64 12:57 15 Oct 2008

the wires should have a lable on them and you look on the motherboard for the corresponding pins. If the pins are marked with a + and - then the coloured wire is the +

Diemmess 13:49 15 Oct 2008

IF, and I mean if the wires are to connect to display LEDs in the case, then with the two you mention, there's not much chance of doing damage to anything.

Again, they I imagine will be part of a bunch of such leads and usually plug into a small array of pins at one edge of the motherboard.

If the uncertain connections are only for indicators then choosing the wrong pins or getting the polarity wrong will be self evident. (an indicator will not light if the polarity is reversed)

Be careful not to confuse the leads with those from the on/off switch or reboot switch if fitted.

Wiser really if in doubt to download the manual for this mobo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)