PC can’t connect to Internet via PC nor Ethernet

Smook929 10:11 28 Jun 2018

My PC is running windows 10 64-bit. I was just logging into a game when my internet went down. I reset modem and router and got nothing. I change out cords for ones that I know worked. All other devices in the house have working internet including my boyfriend’s laptop. I plugged in a wireless adapter and logged into our WiFi on my PC and got the same error. Says it can’t get a valid IP address on either. IPv4 says address 169.254.x.x for both Ethernet and WiFi when I do an ipconfig /all. I’ve been scouring the Internet for the past 4 hours and had no luck. The only suggestion I’ve not been able to try was downloading network adapter drivers and reinstalling it. Also, my phone is connected to the network and I tried to use and Apple hotspot and connect it via USB and got the same result. All help and tips are greatly appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 28 Jun 2018

Right click start - select command prompt or powershell (admin)

type netsh int ip reset and press enter

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC.

If the previous commands didn’t work, you might want to try these commands as well:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

Smook929 22:24 28 Jun 2018

Thanks so much for your help but I figured it out. It seems as though my antivirus was blocking my access to the Internet.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple