pc build problem

DMAN 18:35 12 Oct 2004

OK, I just built a pc that keeps cutting out.

The power just cuts out. Is this a dodgy powerpack?

any ideas

Dorsai 19:22 12 Oct 2004

Have you tried just turning it an and doing nothing with it?

Does it still shut down after the same period of time. If so, sounds very like somthing getting too hot...

Did you remember to plug the CPu fan power cabel in? Sounds daft, i know, but have forgotten this myself......

Is a cable jamming the CPU fan?

Plus, did you use any form of thermal paaste/pad on the heatsink base?

Is the heatsing catching the ZIF socket, and not actually touching the die on the CPU, if so it will not transfer any heat, fan spinning or not.

DMAN 19:28 12 Oct 2004

Yeah that's the fan but it doesn't contain the pci slot to adjust the fan speed. It the one without this feature

DMAN 19:32 12 Oct 2004

fan is running.

There is paste on the fan at ther bottom

The cable is in

kakasnarta 19:33 12 Oct 2004

Check what dorsai says ....if you do have your fan lead connected ,start pc with side off to check fan is spinning it might be a faulty fan you never now,

DMAN 19:34 12 Oct 2004

did that, the fan is spinning and seems like it is running fine

DMAN 19:36 12 Oct 2004

I'm wondering if the fan is too big. The powerpack is right next to it with just a few minimeters between each. Could the heat be trapping here.

VoG II 19:37 12 Oct 2004

Have you tried a temperature monitor like MBM click here

Dorsai 19:41 12 Oct 2004

A good start then.

Apart from the posability of the heatsink being lodged on the socket, and not touching the CPu properly (if at all).

I would take the ram out, turn it on, and wait. If it sits there happily, not shutting off, but saying 'no extended memory' it may be a memory fault.

It can be a real bugger diagnosing a fault with a new build, as it has never worked before. SO one can not be sure it will work.

One suggestion,

unplug all but the graphics card, and cooling fans. reboot, wait to see if it shuts off. If not, add one part. Say memory. Then reboot, and wait. If ok, add the next bit. and so on.

Must ast, what wattage is the PSu? I would expect such a system to need about 350w to 450w, though other may disagree.

DMAN 19:41 12 Oct 2004

no, but how can i use that in a system that has no operating system on it or anything

VoG II 19:44 12 Oct 2004

Sorry, I had not appreciated that there was no OS.

Is there a temperature readout in the BIOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)