PC booting from wrong drive

bumpkin 17:13 26 Aug 2014
Answered

Hi all, just playing with an old XP Home PC Sony Vaio which I use primarily just for my cctv. 2hdds one with the OS and anything else and one solely as a recorder for cctv. I put another hdd in it which was laying around to just to see what was on it with the intention of formatting it and using as a backup. Everything still works OK but it seems to have made itself the C drive and now boots into to XP Pro. Storage drive is SATA other 2 are set to cable select Eide drives. I would rather it booted from the original drive.

bumpkin 19:26 26 Aug 2014

beeuuem, thanks I have tried that but it reverts back when I reboot. A bit baffled by what is going on here, it clearly says on initial boot that it is XP Pro, I can't get internet access with it anyway so I think I will just format it.

bumpkin 21:21 26 Aug 2014

thanks, I have disabled the offending drive in BIOS so now it can only boot from original one. Strange thing I have not encountered before, not matter what I set in the boot order it would only boot from the newly installed drive. Not formatted it yet in case of other suggestions, not even sure if I can unless I put it in a caddy.

bumpkin 21:36 26 Aug 2014

Maybe should have jumpered them as master and slave rather than cable select as an afterthought.

bumpkin 20:46 27 Aug 2014

beeuuem, sorry for the delay been out all day, a replacement ide cable sorted the boot issues, I don't think the original was suitable for cable select. I don't need 2 OS's it was just by chance that the spare drive had XP pro on it. valid key as well so now using that OS and the original HDD as a backup, so a good result in the end. Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Quel est le meilleur Fitbit pour votre enfant ?