PC been getting slow lately

Londmen 03:24 19 May 2018

PC started getting slow around January I believe, it usually uses around 90-100% cpu and gpu whilst gaming, stuttering happens every game(Overwatch, Fortnite etc) Both GPU and CPU is auto overclocked to somewhere around max it can handle, not sure if that's part of the problem. Can get decently big fps drops frequently.

Specs:

GTX 970 OC Edition i5 6600k 16gb ddr4 800w power supply multiple built in fans in the case

I've had problems identifying this/these issues. Any responses would be appreciated!

MJS WARLORD 13:16 19 May 2018

You say your system is auto overclocked , what are you using to do this.

If you are using the nvidea experience program I strongly recommend you dump it.Remove the entry for it in the start up menu and then uninstall it.Go to nvideas website and manually search for the latest driver.

MJS WARLORD 13:17 19 May 2018

forgot this bit ….. choose custom install and untick the experience box or you will be given it again.

Londmen 17:36 19 May 2018

I went into BIOS and overclocked it from there, but it chose how much itself. I do use Experience but I don't believe it's connected to this.

rdave13 18:00 19 May 2018

I have kept clear of overclocking since a bad experience and totally inept at it. Auto settings included. Can you reset overclocking in the UEFI to see you can get lower frame rates but steady ones?

Londmen 19:27 19 May 2018

I did remove the OC, performance has decreased as expected, but it is also more stable even though there still are stutters occasionally.

Londmen 11:15 21 May 2018

Since last time I have noticed that it hasn't actually gotten better, I still freeze alot in game and for example in Fortnite the world fails to render to the point of unplayability frequently.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 21 May 2018

Suggest you run a memory test next.

MJS WARLORD 11:47 21 May 2018

as fruit bat says do memory test , just type memory into search box and click on the top item , windows memory diagnosis , and let it run.

you could also try this , launch a game you know will cause you problems and put the settings for everything at their lowest or turn off some options.

now run the game for a while , I guess you will know how long it should be before it crashes.

if you don't get a crash increase individual settings gradually and make a note of what your altering , this will help you track down which setting is causing you a problem.

Londmen 16:50 27 May 2018

Nothing came up after my memory test.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?