pc acting differently

johnnyrocker 13:25 24 Nov 2005

yesterday evening when i powered up pc i got a warning avg not up to date ran update check from console and was told none available, attempted a manual update from the website as kindly provided here a while back.
there were updates listed dated yesterday (3)but when clicking on them to d/load i got a message "windows is unable to open the file" further digging revealed the clock on the machine had gone to 2009 i reset this and avg display says it was last udated at 15.00 yesterday machine was not on at all during the afternoon util i came home in the evening, i also noticed that my mailwasher friends list dramatically reduced and my blacklist empty.
any ideas what happened while this machine was off?

johnny

newts 14:03 24 Nov 2005

I had same clock problem some time ago and it turned out that the motherboard battery needed replacing, since when everything is OK. The clock showing wrong date/time throws a lot of software out of kilter.

johnnyrocker 17:37 24 Nov 2005

is that a difficult thing to do?

johnny.

spuds 17:45 24 Nov 2005

is that a difficult thing to do?

On a desktop computer, very simple, ten minutes at the most.Usually something like a Lithium CR 2032 3volt battery would do the job.Check battery number before you buy though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 24 Nov 2005

CMOS Battery
click here

johnnyrocker 17:52 24 Nov 2005

great stuff thanks, will go to pc world when the weather gets better.

johnny.

stalion 18:02 24 Nov 2005

great stuff thanks, will go to pc world when the weather gets better.

that's somewhere around april 'aint it lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 24 Nov 2005

johnnyrocker

new CMOS battery will cost you twice as much at PCW than local shop or BOOTs or even garage(same batteries as remote keys)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?