Password required for computer startup

neilsandford 22:15 02 Dec 2016

I was dumb enough to allow a computer scammer access to my computer and when I wouldn't pay his price he locked my computer so that it requires a password to startup. What can I do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 02 Dec 2016

Op system? windows 10?

neilsandford 02:50 03 Dec 2016

no Windows 8.1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:15 03 Dec 2016

Your can download and create a windows 8.1 iso on to a USB boot from that and try a reset keeping the data.

or if your data is extremely important save it first by booting from a live linux disk and save your data to an external source first or connect the hard drive in a external case to another PC and save your data before attempting the reset.

Govan1x 09:23 03 Dec 2016

Try switching your computer on and after 7 seconds switch it off by holding in the start button. Do that 3 or 4 times and you should get a repair screen giving you different options of repairing your computer.

Maybe a system restore to a time before the problem might work.

Hope that works for you.

neilsandford 18:36 03 Dec 2016

I tried the restart 3 or 4 times to get a repair screen and that did not work. I have downloaded a windows 8.1 iso onto a thumb drive, but where I would get the system to use it, the prompt says that I need to "login as administrator and there is no administrator set up on this computer." I will try booting from a live linux disk next if I can find a download. Any other suggestions?

rdave13 19:46 03 Dec 2016

What do you mean by requiring a start up password to start up? Is it a password at the Lock screen you are talking about? Windows usually starts up to get to the Lock screen. Have a look at this thread, link and try Jollyjohn 's suggestion.

Jollyjohn 21:52 03 Dec 2016

This post should be here, not in that other post?!?!

Go click here Download and burn to cd or put on USB - Boot from it and the option you are looking for is "Clear Administrator password"

It may take a couple of runs to get it to work, you need to pick the correct Windows partition, so make notes of your choices each time you run it.

rdave13 22:27 03 Dec 2016

This post should be here, not in that other post?!?!

Baffled, must have missed something. Hey-Ho.

Secret-Squirrel 09:03 04 Dec 2016

What do you mean by requiring a start up password to start up?

It's called "SysKey" and is frequently enabled by those evil scammers to prevent the user from accessing their computer:

Luckily, it's usually very easy to fix with a System Restore and choosing an available restore point that pre-dates the problem. The OP didn't explicitly mention that he'd tried it but it can be found on the Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options screen.

rdave13 10:57 04 Dec 2016

Forgot about that Secret, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs smartphones Honor