Password required for computer startup

neilsandford 22:15 02 Dec 2016

I was dumb enough to allow a computer scammer access to my computer and when I wouldn't pay his price he locked my computer so that it requires a password to startup. What can I do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 02 Dec 2016

Op system? windows 10?

neilsandford 02:50 03 Dec 2016

no Windows 8.1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:15 03 Dec 2016

Your can download and create a windows 8.1 iso on to a USB boot from that and try a reset keeping the data.

or if your data is extremely important save it first by booting from a live linux disk and save your data to an external source first or connect the hard drive in a external case to another PC and save your data before attempting the reset.

Govan1x 09:23 03 Dec 2016

Try switching your computer on and after 7 seconds switch it off by holding in the start button. Do that 3 or 4 times and you should get a repair screen giving you different options of repairing your computer.

Maybe a system restore to a time before the problem might work.

Hope that works for you.

neilsandford 18:36 03 Dec 2016

I tried the restart 3 or 4 times to get a repair screen and that did not work. I have downloaded a windows 8.1 iso onto a thumb drive, but where I would get the system to use it, the prompt says that I need to "login as administrator and there is no administrator set up on this computer." I will try booting from a live linux disk next if I can find a download. Any other suggestions?

Jollyjohn 21:52 03 Dec 2016

This post should be here, not in that other post?!?!

Go click here Download and burn to cd or put on USB - Boot from it and the option you are looking for is "Clear Administrator password"

It may take a couple of runs to get it to work, you need to pick the correct Windows partition, so make notes of your choices each time you run it.

Secret-Squirrel 09:03 04 Dec 2016

What do you mean by requiring a start up password to start up?

It's called "SysKey" and is frequently enabled by those evil scammers to prevent the user from accessing their computer:

Luckily, it's usually very easy to fix with a System Restore and choosing an available restore point that pre-dates the problem. The OP didn't explicitly mention that he'd tried it but it can be found on the Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)