Password Problems

Colonelkaye 20:52 05 Feb 2005

Hi all,
I have 3 PC's all successfully wirelessly connected. All 3 PC's can see one another. However when I try to access the main PC Windows asks for a password and I do not remember setting one.
I have tried the administrator password but to no avail. When I access the other PC's from the main one I do not get asked.
Am I missing something obvious?

goonerbill © ® 02:00 06 Feb 2005

^bump^

Colonelkaye 11:27 06 Feb 2005

I assume that you meant this as a password?

It did not work. ^bump^ ?

The PC's cannot access the main on the wireless network although they can see each other. The main PC can access the other two fine.

PC's upstairs have SP2 on - the main PC has SP1 on it as SP2 will not work.

Any help?

FelixTCat 13:23 06 Feb 2005

I am guessing that the main PC is running XP Pro and the others running XP Home. XP Pro requires accounts to be set up before other computers can log in over the network.

On the main pc open My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View and scroll to the bottom. Enable "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".Close it all out and try again

Colonelkaye 17:15 07 Feb 2005

Have tried your suggestion from the folder menu. This is already ticked. Any other ideas?

FelixTCat 18:53 07 Feb 2005

I presume that shared drives/folders on the main pc appear in My Network Places on the other computers. When you set up the shares on the main computer, did you set passwords?

Colonelkaye 19:12 07 Feb 2005

Thanks Felix for your help.

When I click on workgroup computers all 3 pc's can see one another. my (main) pc can access the c drive of both kids pc's upstairs. my pc is on xp pro with sp1. one pc is on xp home with sp2 and one pc is on xp pro with sp2.
I have never used passwords other than screen names but only seem to have the issue since putting sp2 on both upstairs pc's.
The obvious answer would be in uninstall sp2 on them but surely i should not have to.
All drives and folders are shared correctly.

FelixTCat 19:26 07 Feb 2005

It is almost certainly related to SP2. Microsoft put a lot of increased security in SP2 and, more to the point, set the defaults to security being on rather than off. I didn't get any problems when upgrading, but some people did.

Check the shared folders/direcories to see if some level of security has been installed.

Also, go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - User Rights Assignment and look under Access this computer from the network and see if this is totally restrictive.

Colonelkaye 19:35 07 Feb 2005

Wow Felix. You got me clicking and checking like nobodys business!
Checked the security bit and all is well - open to all users. Looks like it is gonna be SP2 eh?

FelixTCat 15:07 08 Feb 2005

Let's see if I have this straight. Before the upgrade to SP2, each computer could share files on every other computer without password access. You upgraded 2 computers to SP2 and left your main computer on SP1. Now the main computer can access the other two without a password and the other two can access each other without a password, but the two on SP2 cannot access the one on SP1 without a password. Is this correct?

Try cancelling the shares on the main computer and opening them again.

Colonelkaye 14:07 25 Feb 2005

Have tried exactly what Felix suggested and he has it right. SP2 can access SP2 PC's. SP1 can access SP2 PC's. SP2 PC's will not access SP1 PC without a password.

Incidentally the password screen does not allow you to select a username - it is just showing as "Guest" and requires a password.

Still none the wiser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?