Hot Topics

Password for network access via wireless router

johnincrete 08:12 01 Oct 2016

I have a TP-Link TL-WR641G router attached to my land line. My desktop and laptop are connected to it using cables i.e in the 5 years I have had it, I have never used the wireless facility and I have no idea what the password is. I now have a smart phone and I want to connect to the internet to use its facilities. The phone "sees" the network and is asking for the password. I am a complete ignoramus concerning this. Is the password a function of the router or the network? How can I reset it? Thanks all

Graham* 09:29 01 Oct 2016

The password should be printed on the router.

Secret-Squirrel 09:46 01 Oct 2016

John, for your router model you'll need to login to it to see what the wireless password is:

In any web browser, type 192.168.1.1 then press enter on your keyboard. The username and password are both admin (all lower case letters). You then need to find the "Wireless Settings" section and the WiFi password will be displayed there in plain text. It may be called a "key" or "passphrase".

By the way, if the wireless "security type" is shown as "WEP" then that's very insecure and easily hackable so get back in touch and I'll tell you how to change that.

Don't forget to return with some feedback this time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 01 Oct 2016
  Secret-Squirrel 10:28 01 Oct 2016

Fruit Bat, I've already given John all the information he needs so why are you suggesting that he needs to pay $10 for that program? Please explain its advantages over the quick 'n' easy tips I posted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:45 01 Oct 2016

I wasn't suggesting the op buys the program just the it shows the wireless setup pages.

Secret-Squirrel 12:54 01 Oct 2016

Thanks for clearing that up. The software link is so prominent I thought you were recommending it.

johnincrete 09:08 03 Oct 2016

I copy/pasted 192.168.1.1 into Crome and got a window "Authentication Required". I entered admin twice but the window just clearted. When I closed it, there was an error message "Authentication reqired". Have I done something wrong? PS I have been trying to reply but it just locks up

Secret-Squirrel 09:45 03 Oct 2016

............an error message "Authentication reqired". Have I done something wrong?

No, you haven't done anything wrong. It's just telling you that the username or password is wrong.

Is your router perhaps an ISP-provided one? If it is then perhaps Graham is correct and you'll find all the info you need on a sticker underneath the unit. I've never heard of TP-Link routers being provided by ISPs but perhaps they are in Greece.

Secret-Squirrel 11:05 03 Oct 2016

.......................another idea might be to try logging into the router using a different web browser - Internet Explorer for example.

Burn-it 13:10 03 Oct 2016

You need to double check the userid and password that you are supplying as they ARE CASE SENSITIVE and Windows has a nasty habit of displaying verything as uppercase even if it is really lowercase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans