Partitioning-v-virtual memory

Silly Me 13:35 16 Oct 2003

My son has partitioned his C drive but this leaves only 2.00 GB (NTFS) on his C drive. In total he has 512GB. His Disk Management screen shows (C:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 2.00gb
(D:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 55.27gb

In System Properties\Performance Options\Virtual Memory page shows:

Drive [Volume label] Paging File Size (MB)
(C:) 768-1141
(D:) [Storage]

He needs to know how to move all from C to D.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Ann

The Spires 13:47 16 Oct 2003

From my understanding of your post he really needs to re-partition to leave around I think 10 - 15 Gig for Windows to be happy in, as you are using NTFS I assume this is XP we are talking about. Windows XP might just work on 2 Gig but the operating system needs room to breath as it were and I think you will have problems unless you increase the space on C:\. XP needs to be on C:\ drive, it can't start the Pc from D:\ or any other, & as there are files you can't see that are required for the Pc to start you can't move the operating system simply. Did he use a Partitioning program to alter his drive?

Silly Me 14:06 16 Oct 2003

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am pretty sure my son used a Partitioning program and he is running on Windows 2000

The Spires 14:12 16 Oct 2003

It should be pretty simple to start the pattitioning program & move space from D:\ to C:\, let us know how you get on. :-)

Silly Me 15:44 16 Oct 2003

Does this mean he has to re-partition from scratch? Sorry to appear thick.

leo49 16:03 16 Oct 2003

If he's got 3rd party Partitioning software like Partition Magic,it's simply a matter of using it to reduce the size of D to allow him to expand C to encompass the resulting free space[as The Spires said].Such software accomplishes this without loss of data.He can't do this using Windows alone.

leo49 16:08 16 Oct 2003

Just to clarify my last sentence: if he hasn't got 3rd-party software then to repartition using Windows means starting from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts