partitioning my HDD for dualbooting

thommo3 19:56 04 Nov 2015

Please suggest how to Patition my 750GB Hard drive to Dual boot Win 7 & Xp to allow use of older Software etc. I'm Using a Packard Bell Easynote TE. Thanks

Bailifei 07:33 05 Nov 2015

If you have only one partition on the whole disk, you'd better make it two. so you can install two systems on separate partitions. you can use the free easeus partition manager to create some unallocated space, and make it another partition. It might take you sometime depending on the size of the data. And do a disk backup before doing this.

[email protected] 13:58 06 Nov 2015

Installing Windows 7 is equally good to manage your needs for using the older version of software applications. However, for making HDD partitions there's nothing better than partition magic.

bumpkin 15:41 06 Nov 2015

Either of the above will do the partitioning but something you will find is that if you boot to XP it will delete all of your W7 restore points unless you edit the registry and tell XP not to see the other partition.

Jollyjohn 15:52 06 Nov 2015

Consider using Virtualbox. I run a Linux box as my main PC. I have a few installations of Windows installed for troubleshooting and running specific software.

You can even connect hardware to the virtual PC - I tested a scanner under W10 earlier this year to see if it was compatible.

VirtualBox is free to download and use. Don't forget the Extensions pack.

thommo3 19:00 06 Nov 2015

Thank you for all the replies Plenty of food for thought, thommo3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)