To Partition or not ?

SB23 21:29 16 Jun 2003

I have been reading,with interest, articles about partitioning your hard disk.The reason being,my 12 month old system ran into major problems after downloading a certain upgrade (I won't mention any names.)Eventually,to cut along story very short,and after alot of headaches,i restarted it from scratch,(back to factory settings),and all has been well since.Since the little incident,I have been informed that if i had partitioned my drive,i could have recovered alot easier and not had to download back to where my system was.(obviously without the offending item).When i encounter problems I am abit of a novice,but look to the forum for hints,which helps, I run XP with no probs,but have been told its a whole different ballgame to partition XP.Is this true.....? THANK-YOU IN ADVANCE..SB

SB23 21:44 16 Jun 2003

Thank-you VoG,but another question i have is,how many forum users actually have partitioned disks,and would they say that it's really a useful and worthwhile thing to do....?

hugh-265156 23:11 16 Jun 2003

im inclined to agree with VoGĀ®.i keep everything neat and tidy using various tools and backed up all on one drive.i had problems a while back and just reinstalled windows and did not lose anything.

is there any performance gains to be had from partitioning?

what about swap file etc?

hugh-265156 23:12 16 Jun 2003

should have said i back up to cdr.

woodchip 23:14 16 Jun 2003

File size changes if you are on Fat32 cannot remember the exact size but for about the smallest file size partitions need to be about 6GB.

woodchip 23:21 16 Jun 2003

Reformat for those who constant load and remove rubbish from Mag CD's mainly Trial programs leaves files behind these clog your system and it a big job trying to clear them That's why a Drive Image Backup is the best way to go. It can be restored in 5 min on my comp OS and programs clean and no dross

hugh-265156 23:27 16 Jun 2003

i just remove the entries after i uninstall using find in regedit.

SB23 20:11 17 Jun 2003

Thankyou to everyone who expressed their views,on the partitioning of hard drives, or hard disks, as I think I called them,as VoG suggested,the jury will certainly stay out (well in my case)to debate this subject,and I will be doing alot more reading on this,although,for the time being,i still don't know what to do for the best,but thanks anyway...SB

zanwalk 21:08 17 Jun 2003

Partitioning is neither right nor wrong, it's one of those 'horses for courses' questions, and for some people like myself partitioning a hard disk is an absolute necessity, as I run four different operating systems on my computer. Why? It's just the most fascinating thing about computers for me, and I could not imagine being without Drive Image and Partition Magic. But for others like VoG, they see no need for it, the magic for them lies elswhere. So, choose which course you wish to take, we can't give you a definitive answer, but whatever you do have fun!

woodchip 23:02 17 Jun 2003

Exactly

SB23 20:03 18 Jun 2003

Ok,to put it another way then,I have a family,use the pc for work,play,internet,etc,etc,as has been suggested,i download,get rid of,download again,my wife has gone back to college,so she has work on it aswell,so surely the best thing to do,while I'm thinking about it,would be to partition?,(especially after what happened before),I think I've just answered my original question.Who agrees with me?....SB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 3 review

Automatically create thousands of unique variations from one original design with this Illustrator…

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Razer Phone 2