Partiotioning Under Windows XP....

Amry 09:47 06 Aug 2003

I have a relatively simple question; I have a Windows XP system. Recently, I used Partition Magic to create another partition, and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP in that partition too (don't ask, it's for research purposes....). Anyways, to make a long story short, I've finished my "research" and would like to re-assimilate my secondary XP partition to the primary partition.... so, do I have to just delete the partition and join in again with Partition Magic? Or are there any other steps I must take first?

leo49 10:37 06 Aug 2003

As you rightly suspect you can do it easily using Partition Magic,ie delete the superfluous second partition[this will turn it into unallocated space] and then drag out the remaining original partition to encompass this space and to once again occupy the whole.

Regards

The Transporter 10:42 06 Aug 2003

of XP (on your D: drive) so you just end up with your version on the C:.

Go into the C: version of XP.

All you need to do is go into Control Panel - System - then "advanced" tab.

Then select the Start up and recovery "settings " button.

It will show which Operating system you want as default. Select the C: version. Then make sure that the value is 0 for "Time to display list of operating systems".

Now save and reboot.

If it still gives you an option of 2 o/s and doesn't just boot straight aay go back to where you were above and then:

Make a backup of this file first. So if it goes wrong you can just replace it.

Now open the Boot.ini file and it will show you the main boot o/s system and then an extra line with the D: o/s system. delete this single line and thats all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?