PAPER JAM PROBLEM WITH EPSON CL 900 LASER

jim2001 11:56 30 Sep 2004

MY CL 900 EPSON COLOUR LASER WORKED WITHOUT PROBLEM UP UNTILL A FEW WEEKS AGO WHEN I NEEDED TO REPLACE ALL OF THE TONER CARTRIDGES. DUE TO THE COMBINED COST I OPTED FOR THE BURN AND POUR METHOD, AND RE FILLED THEM. I THEN HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE BLACK TONER AND SO RE PLACED THIS WITH AN ORIGINAL EPSON ONE AND HAD A SHORT PERIOD OF BEING ABLE TO PRINT AGAIN. DIDN'T LAST TO LONG THOUGH! NOW IF I PRINT A PLAIN TEXT SHEET OR ONE WITH MINIMAL USE OF COLOUR IT WILL PRINT AOK, BUT IF I USE THE EPSON TO PRINT A4 PHOTOS OR COLOUR HEAVY PAGES THE PAGES JAM JUST AFTER THE 'FUSER' BEFORE COMING OUT OF THE PRINTER.
ROLLERS AND REMOVABLE PARTS HAVE BEEN CHECKED TO SEE IF CLEAN AND REMOVE PAPER SCRAPS.IS THIS PROBLEM DOWN TO USING NON EPSON TONER??
JIM

t.long 14:30 30 Sep 2004

When I read the title of your post I had an idea, it is possible to load paper into a printer the wrong way round believe it or not. The heat of the printer causes the paper to roll - remember it is kept on large rolls before it is vut to A4 et al size - and jam.

Since the problem only occurs with colour printing it might be that the extra heat - from more use of the laser - is causing the paper to roll. I would suggest you ether take the paper out and put it in the other way up, or use some different paper.

I do not think the toner would be to blame, unless it is a cunning ploy by Epsom to force everyone to use its own toners.

Well maybe someone that knows more will be more helpful.

jim2001 18:49 30 Sep 2004

THANKS FOR YOUR IDEAS RE:PAPER USED.

I HAVE TRIED FRESH PAPER FROM A DIFFERENT SOURCE

BUT STILL WITH NO LUCK.

JIM

Gongoozler 19:06 30 Sep 2004

I don't have any experience of laser printers, but I do use a photocopier a lot, and most of the process is the same. After a long period of use the fuser can build up a coating of toner. When the roller gets hot, this old toner gets sticky and results in the paper jamming. A good rubbing with a sheet of kitchen roll, sometimes dipped in methylated spirit but I'm sure the makers wouldn't approve of this, clears this problem.

Dorsai 19:20 30 Sep 2004

Is it On a USB connection? Have you tried is on a serial cable?

Do you get a message in XP eventually after it fails to print to the effect of a comunication error with the printer?

Meshuga 20:14 30 Sep 2004

No offence intended but would point out that typing in All upper case letters is considered in computer cicles to be shouting. Meshuga.

jim2001 11:42 01 Oct 2004

thanks for ideas sent to this posting overnight

Gongoozler-i will try the meths later to day,it's worth a try.

Dorsai-yes it is on a usb connection,but with no communication error massage.

Meshuga-shouting wasn't intended,thanks

jim

Diemmess 13:41 01 Oct 2004

I had paper transport troubles with an EPL 5800 mono, though from what you say your problem doesn't sound quite the same.

Enquired of EQUINOX in Tewkesbury who are approved Epson service agents. They said they answered tech queries only via a premium line @ 50p per minute, but "I wouldn't be kept waiting."

Eventually took a deep breath, checked the depth of my pocket and used the premium line.

True to their word there was an almost instant answer and after warning me, the bod listened, and straight away told me what to do......... It helped us both that like you, I had an idea where the problem was.

It cost less than £2.00 and was worth it.

jim2001 22:43 01 Oct 2004

Hi Diemmess , i bought the printer from pc world
but did contact 'epson' via their web page and registerd my problem with them at least two weeks ago,but with no reply so far. will try contacting them again.

thanks
jim

Diemmess 07:52 02 Oct 2004

I have waited nearly 3 years for an email reply, about an inkjet long since replaced, and "am beginning to lose hope!"

What I meant was that if you have a fair idea of the way around your printer, then the official service engineers are likely to know what is wrong, how to correct it and tell you what you can/cannot do.

In my case the paper jam was caused by soft pads under the paper path becoming "glazed" with paper dust, and so didn't hang on to the store of paper as the powered rollers above wound the top one in.

A primitive method, but the EPL-5800 is a budget printer and it works well enough with excellent prints, but just this unreliability with multiple copies.

Try Equinox on Monday?

jim2001 05:42 02 Mar 2007

hi,
i found the problem with my printer was related to non epson toner. i bit the bullet, bought epson toner and my laser printer is now working a.o.k. i thought i had posted this reply 3 years ago!! onl now as i look over this set of posts do i note my omission.
i should also say that 3 years on epson have still never got back to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?