"The page cannot be displayed"

Barold 17:31 23 Jan 2006

Aprox. 3 times out of four when I try to access a web page I get the above message. Occasionally I can eventually get in by repeatedly pressing Restore. But mostly I just give up.

The problem started a couple of weeks ago when I picked up some spyware, and removed it (I think) using Counterspy and AVG antivirus.

I run Windows XP home with SP2, Internet Explorer, a wireless router and firewall and Tiscali 1Mb broadband.

I'd be grateful for some advice.

Barold

john-232317 18:54 23 Jan 2006

Try this download, click here , update, then run. There maybe still some nasties about.

Barold 13:06 24 Jan 2006

Thanks dadyassa. Unfortunately I can't download because of the problem I described. Any ideas?

Barold

Methedrine 16:31 24 Jan 2006

Can a friend download it and burn it onto a disc for you?

Barold 11:46 25 Jan 2006

Thanks. Why didn't I think of that?

Barold 19:43 25 Jan 2006

I'm sorry to say I eventually managed to download Ewido but it didn't do the trick.

After a bit more playing I've convinced myself the problem is to do with my wirelss broadband router. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a worthwhile avenue to explore?

Barold

keverne 21:50 25 Jan 2006

Are you running any Internet filtering applications?
I had to stop using FilterGate for exactly the problems you describe.

Barold 23:43 01 Feb 2006

Thanks all. I've discovered the problem - it was a problem with my wireless router. I've temporarily replaced it with a cable and the problem has gone away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)