The pad of a laptop not responding. How to fix it, please?

GloriaM 04:22 09 Jun 2014

When turn on the laptop and I enter the password, the computer starts & displays everything properly but the cursor doesn’t move when I to use the pad.

The cursor is just frozen, doesn’t respond to the pad, so I can’t operate the laptop.

When I plug in a mouse in the USB slot the laptop works OK.

I did try to find some solution in controls panels but had no success - I’m not a techie at all and avoid to tinker with the laptop - a bit afraid to accidentally cause some big damage.

The question is how to make the pad function again?

Any step-by-step advise how to fix the problem by a knowledgeable computer user well be much appreciated.

The laptop is Toshiba Pavilion with Windows 8 installed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

mole1944 06:14 09 Jun 2014

Above the pad is a small on/off button if it's on a light will show.

BT 08:11 10 Jun 2014

Lazarus The 2nd

The info in your link is clearly detailed in the instructions that came with my HP laptop. Double tap the pad to turn it on/off. Could be the pad is turned off by default if the USB mouse works OK. I don't like pads so I always use a small wireless mouse and have set the pad to off via the mouse properties so that I don't have to turn it off every time I switch on.

alanrwood 09:03 10 Jun 2014

Hi BT

Mine is the same. The pad is automatically disabled unless I unplug the usb mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?