tomtom10 21:59 06 Mar 2005

I have a 3 Year Old PC (Athlon XP 1800+, 1.2Ghz Appx) And recently the CPU fan has been making these strange 'buzzing' sounds, on startup, but gradually die down. On the temperature monitor, it first reads 40*C, but then increases to over 65*C in around 5-10 Minutes, even when I do non-processor intensive work (like web browsing). To avoid damage, I then shut it down. Should I buy a new CPU fan?

Gongoozler 22:04 06 Mar 2005

CPU fans are about the most common failures in a computer. Fortunately replacements are cheap. If you get a heatsink with the same size fan, you can even replace just the fan by unscrewing the old one and screwing the new one in its place. Have a look at what is available here click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:04 06 Mar 2005

Check nothing is interfering with the fan i.e. a cable to a CD or HDD.

Case air vents are free, PC not sat on carpet.

A system fan may also help approx £4

phono 22:53 06 Mar 2005

I totally agree with Gongoozler, however, if you do replace just the fan, make sure there isn't a load of dust and fluff left between the fins of the heatsink.

A build up of dust and fluff will reduce the heatsink/fan's cooling capacity.

Be careful what way you remove any build up, static electricity must be avoided at all costs.

tomtom10 17:53 07 Mar 2005

Thank you for all of your help. New PC fan is as quiet as a mouse. It doesn't have the problem anymore, and the temperature is on a safe 45*C.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?