Outlook/mail merge for labels

Cara2 12:21 22 Nov 2011

Am following step by step wizard, starting from Word 2007, using Mail Merge wizard and data from my Contacts list.

Can follow steps, but must be omitting a stage as when I merge as the pages are blank.

Anything obvious spring to mind? I am really irritated with myself repeating the process but ending up with a blank page!

Cara2 13:05 22 Nov 2011

Previous to 'update labels' I have two lines of data, 2nd line is home address. At this point the full name and address is not shown.

Then I press 'update lables' - label reverts to one line of data.

Preview lables shows no data at all?

Cara2 13:45 22 Nov 2011

Yes, have selected contact folder. At this stage all contacts are displayed and I choose a field to include. The full name and address are displayed.

I get to the stage where 'Next Record' and 'Address Block' are shown, then I press update all lables. 'Address Block' disappears and thereafter no names and addresses are shown.

At this stage it would have been faster to handwrite all the labels!

Taff™ 16:03 22 Nov 2011

Instead of choosing address block put in the fields for first name, surname and then a line break followed by address line 1, address line 2 etc. Then press the update labels button. It also helps to Preview results before going to the merge.

Cara2 21:43 22 Nov 2011

Thanks for suggestions - I will give it a go.

lotvic 00:45 23 Nov 2011

If it helps this is how I do it in Word 2003. I have the Mail Merge toolbar showing and click on:

'Main document setup' | 'Open Data Source' | 'Mail Merge Recipients' | 'Insert Address Block' popup box and click on 'Match Fields' at bottom and choose the fields you want | 'View Merged Data' (this will only show record 1 in top left label) | 'Propagate Labels' (which fills sheet 1, section 1) | Click on 'Merge to New Document' and in the pop up box choose 'All'

A new Window opens with a new document created showing ALL the names and addresses. New document shows at bottom as Page 1, Sec 1, 1/4 (or however many sections are needed for the number of sheets of labels you need - each section is a separate page of labels)

I can now save my new document as an ordinary word .doc and print them whenever I want.

I don't bother saving the 1st document that I did all the planning on as I now have the label sheets that I wanted.

Cara2 23:06 23 Nov 2011

Feel like this is a lost cause at the moment as tried but no success as yet. However, I intend to put my brainy head on tomorrow and give it another go.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

Cara2 14:11 25 Nov 2011

Thanks for help. Have muddled my way through and have a better understanding of how to mail merge.

However ... printing labels produces blank labels - always in the same position.

All contacts I require a label for are ticked but not all print.

Any idea why this might be?

Taff™ 14:27 25 Nov 2011

Yes! My guess is that each blank represents an address that you don't want a label for but don`t quite understand why it's always in the same position.

I would normally export the contacts into Excel as a .CSV file and then use that file as the data source rather than the contacts file. Then you can add a column to exclude an address and enter an "X" into it. A simple Word Rule inserted "Skip Record If .." (That column/row contains an X) will do just that. You insert that right at the start of the first Label.

Post back if that's not enough of an explanation!

Cara2 14:43 25 Nov 2011

Thanks again. No, have not tried switching between print and web layout, I must admit naughty, but I will.

I am printing the entire contact list, and all ticked so, no I am not omitting any addresses which might leave blanks.

Am feeling a little 'woolly headed' at the moment, so will have another go later and report back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Julian Glander recreates your art school experience in quirky video game Art Sqool

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

TV & streaming : comment regarder la Ligue des Champions 2018-2019 ?