I am using XP sp2 & MS office XP. In outlook when I try to download my mail I get the following error: "Send/receive reported error (0x8004210A)The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server" I have checked all my settings & can find nothing wrong, if I use system restore to yesterdays date everything works fine but then my Norton liveupdate kicks in reloads the same updates and I lose my mail again. I have checked the norton site to no avail. If I login to my ISP (Wanadoo)home page I can download my mail there but still get the error in outlook. Has anyone got any idea what's causing this & know of a cure?
I had a similar problem. If this has just happened over the past few days and you have Windows XP update on auto check if you have KB912919 update installed. If so uninstall it reboot and try your outlook again if OK try reinstalling update.
Thanks for the advice. It's a firewall problem, if I disable it I can download my mail as normal. It is also reducing my connection speed, I am on dial-up and normally connect at 45Kbps plus, with firewall on I am luck to get 18/19Kbps. I have contacted Norton and I await a reply. I will post a message with results when sorted.
Since my last posting I have been dissabling Norton Firewall. Hey presto no problem downloading mail via Outlook. I have since found out that dissabling firewall, starting download & as soon as first message hits my mail box switching firewall back on, mail normal. Yesterday I tried downloading with firewall on it worked. I did mail Norton with problem but still await reply, I don't know if I have downloaded a patch with my updates but everything is now fine again. If Norton did have a problem with Outlook you would have thought they would reply & inform me that a patch was available & how to get it.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.