Outlook Express Spellcheck Defaults to French

halmad 20:41 20 Jan 2003
  halmad 20:41 20 Jan 2003

I have recently had my hard-drive wiped and reformatted by a local computer repairer due to problems caused by a defective RAM module.

I am now experiencing a problem with Outlook Express - the Spell checking tool defaults to 'French (France)'. If I try to correct correct this by taking Tools, Options, Spelling, Language & change to 'English (United Kingdom)' using the Apply button, the default reverts back to French (France) again.

The local computer repairer had the computer back for a day, checked all the computer settings to ensure they were set to English (which they are) and have stated that I must have subsequently installed an application (but they cannot say what - I have installed a large number of applications) that is over-riding the English setting in Outlook Express. They have tried uninstalling and re-installing Internet Explorer 6, but to no avail.

I have checked the Microsolt Outlook Express help database, but cannot find any reference to this problem.

I have contacted my ISP (Virgin), who suggested I check the Language / Regional settings on the PC - again, I think these are correctly set to English/UK.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Internet Explorer again, but the Spell checker still defaults to French.

The Spellchecker in Outlook is correctly set to Eglish (UK), but I use Outlook Express as a default emailer and would like to retain this as the default.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

VoG™ 21:11 20 Jan 2003

Outlook Express uses Word's spell checker. Try opening a blank document in Word and Tools/Language/Set language and change it to English (British) if it isn't already.

halmad 07:29 21 Jan 2003

VOG - thanks for the response. Word is already set to a default language of English (UK) as is the language setting in MS Office. Have re-set these to English (UK) as the default, but the problem still persists.

Andsome 08:53 21 Jan 2003

Sorry that this is no help. It just goes to show though doesn't it, the b***** French not only want to take over Europe, they also now want to take over halmad's computer. They need an atom bomb dropping on them.

rev.bem 09:45 21 Jan 2003

have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling
outlook express?

Lozzy 09:55 21 Jan 2003

Go into Control Panel Regional/Languages and make sure its to English UK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?