Outlook Express connection problem

joethebow 21:14 13 Apr 2007

Running XP on an AMD 2200 with 1Gb Ram. Using AOL 8mb Broadband.

We have 4 Hotmail accounts and access them via outlook express. When we connect to outlook & click on 'Send Recieve, a window opens listing the accounts then a separate window opens with 3 options:

'A Dial-Up Networking connection is already established to 'The Internet (1)'.

Try to locate the server on the current connection

Hang Up and dial 'Broadband Connection'

Don't warn me about this again

I tried ticking the 'Don't warn me' box but the internet disconnected and tried to reconnect through a dial up connection, which I don't have.

I've tried changing almost everything in Intrenet Explorer & Outlook Tools and Options.

All I want is for the thing to connect and download my messages when I click Recieve all.

Technotiger 21:22 13 Apr 2007

Hi, have you checked in IE Tools>Internet Options>Connections ... Never dial a connection is ticked?

joethebow 21:35 13 Apr 2007

So many times I've lost count.

Technotiger 21:49 13 Apr 2007

Hmm, perhaps you need to contact your ISP, AOL - Good Luck!

Technotiger 21:50 13 Apr 2007

or perhaps... contact Hotmail?

joethebow 21:55 13 Apr 2007

It's nothing to do with Hotmail or AOL. This setup worked perfectly on my previous 2 PC's. It still works on my spare PC and Laptop. It just doesn't work properly on this, second user, one I've been using for the past month.

Technotiger 22:00 13 Apr 2007

Ok, sorry I could not be more positive. Only other thing I can suggest is a System Restore, assuming it was working ok a little while back.

joethebow 18:19 14 Apr 2007

It never worked on this PC.

MAJ 18:28 14 Apr 2007

You might have a dialler (trojan) installed. If you have a Broadband connection and your old analogue modem is still connected somehow, then disconnect it from the phone line. Go into Control Panel > Network Connections and delete all other dialup connections, leaving only your BB connection. Install Spywareblaster click here and also install, update and run a scan with Adaware click here and/or SuperAntispyware click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?