Outlook Express and BT Broadband Email Problem

Boy Zone 09:38 02 Jan 2005

Dear All,

I have recently moved over to BT BB. I am having problems send/receiving emails using OL-Express. I have checked all the settings, but still no joy.
I have logged on to another PC using my internet setting and logged in, and all works fine. So I assume its my PC and OL is the problem.
How I do un-install OL express and re-install?
Can I just go to the programs in the directory and delete? And where do I get a new ver. 6 of OL? Is it part of IE, as I do have a new copy of this on the BT BB disk?
Regards

LeadingMNMs 09:52 02 Jan 2005

I would doubt that it is Outlook Express that is at fault, its probably a setting that has been missed.

What error messages do you get ?

Boy Zone 12:01 02 Jan 2005

well its no so much a an error message, I just can't send any emails. I can receive emails.
I had been using Outlook, but this just would NOT send or receive, and Yahoo BT don't support Outlook, so now I'm back on OutExpress.

mrdsgs 12:19 02 Jan 2005

go into tool/accounts/properties within OE

find your mail account

probably a fault on the server tab.

both incoming and outgoing mail servers should read mail.btinternet.com

post back if that doesn't do it

Boy Zone 15:41 02 Jan 2005

thanks but I have doubled checked this, and both are as you highlighted.
BT Yahoo support, have also checked my setting, and all seem fine, they suspect I might have a virus. I have Nortons 2005, and have carried ouit a complete scan, and only found my Adaware, so I am at a loss.
I know I can use the BT Yahoo web email, but I do want to use OL express as my mail client.
As I said I can receive emails, but its the sending that is the problem.

AragornUK 15:55 02 Jan 2005

I don't use BY BB, but does the outgoing mail require authentication? Or even does it NOT require authentication? When a similar thing happened to me, I'd got the outgoing SMTP set to 'requires authentication' and it wouldn't send a thing.

Probably not this, but worth asking...

mrdsgs 15:56 02 Jan 2005

have you unchecked "always connect to this account using" which will be left from your dial-up days

Technotiger 16:02 02 Jan 2005

Hi, I would suggest using a different email program - I use and always recommend click here it is a free dowload.

just as a note - BTBB is still dial-up, unless you are using Ethernet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts