Outlook Express Back-Up

swagger 12:06 16 Aug 2005

Hi Everyone,

I suspect that this question may have been asked in the past.

How can I do a back-up of my E-mails in Outlook Express. Just got over a hard disk failure and lost some important E-Mails.
I believe you can back-up the address book by copying wab.exe to disk, but how do you do the same for E-mails. Any ideas would be welcome.
I don't use third party software to back-up, just copy my folders to a cd writer.

Regards

Arf

BH34 12:30 16 Aug 2005

Have a look here click here

pj123 12:32 16 Aug 2005

Don't know if this is the right way. But all I do is: File, Save As and save them to my 2nd hard drive. If I then want to put them on to a CD/DVD (which I don't normally) I would use Nero and burn them as Data on a Multisession Disk.

Personally I don't have any real need to keep emails longer than a couple of weeks.

The address book (xxx.wab) is the Windows 98SE file name, in Win XP it is called something else, (as I don't have Win XP I don't know what the file name is) which I also save to my second hard drive and also on to a floppy disk.

scotty 12:34 16 Aug 2005

OE saves your emails in a series of files with names such as Inbox.dbx. There is a separate dbx file for each directory in OE. Do a search of your hardrive for Inbox.dbx to find the location where these files are stored. Back-up is a simple matter of copying these files.

Dipso 21:22 16 Aug 2005
  Jackcoms 21:38 16 Aug 2005

Are you using XP?

If so, back up 'Everyone's Documents and Settings' to an external medium (such as a USB pen drive) and you'll back up your e-mails, address book and a lot more important stuff as well.

swagger 18:14 17 Aug 2005

Hi There

Many thanks to all those who responded

I think the microsoft option appears to be the best. I need time to assess it.

Regards

Arf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?