Outlook Express Attachment Icons Always Flagged

westwit 00:27 16 Jun 2005

On a friend's new PC (XP SP2,IE6,OE6,AVG7,AdAware SE 1.06,Spybot S&D) all incoming emails are flagged in the Outlook Express Inbox as having an attachment - even though they haven't. Her ISP is Wanadoo / Freeserve and she uses the Windows Firewall.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to sort? I wondered if it was the AVG certificate - but it doesn't do this on my system which is the same apart from different ISP.

DieSse 00:40 16 Jun 2005

Some people have said it is the AVG certificate (though I find that a bit strange). It could also be her email settings are to display in text only - in which case the HTML code (which most emails are in) would be an attachment.

Is it possible to alter the AVG attachment at all - to text only say? - I can't look, as I don't use it.

You could prove a ppint by taking off the AVG cert - which is not necessary - and seeing what happens.

brambles 11:40 16 Jun 2005

Only if it's AVG
If you are using AVG don't worry - the little paper clips are really representing the effective attachment that AVG put into your email:
'No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.322 / Virus Database: 267.0.0 - Release Date: 27/05/2005'

If you go to the AVG Control Centre - Click on Emails Box - Then click on Configure.

Remove the Certify Mail in Incoming & Outgoing Mail - if you want to. I leave it personally.

If you haven't got AVG then I don't know but it could be a similar explanation.

Hope this helps - nothing to worry about

Brambles

westwit 15:51 16 Jun 2005

Thanks Guys; I'll check if the mail is set to text only; nice one - hadn't thought of that;-)

If that doesn't work I'll try telling AVG not to certify the mail - although my copy of AVG certifies incoming and outgoing mail and I don't have this paperclip problem. My money's on the text / html tip.

I'll let you know how I get on when I have a chance to get to the other PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)