Outlook Express 6 Error?

scooby43 13:09 21 May 2003

HI all

I have a problem with outlook Express 6 on windows XP Home Edition every time I open outlook express its ok no problems but when I click on the cross at the top hand corner of the screen it closes but then I get this error message

MSIMN.EXE Application Error

The Instruction at "0x77f51d26" referenced memory at "0x009a4e7c" the memory could not be "written"

click ok to terminate the program anyone know whaat ths means as it comes up every time after closing outlook express 6

scooby43 15:57 23 May 2003

Hi again just tried right clicking the outlook express folder then properties and indeed it was showing the read only box ticked I have unticked

ill try again now see if I get the message

cheers

scooby43 16:00 23 May 2003

Hi just tried the same procedure opening outlook express and closing it again and got the same error message :(

thanks for ur posts not sure what to do now

Djohn 16:23 23 May 2003

Sorry that's not worked for you, It certainly cleared up the problem from mine.

When you open the O/E folder, with all Icons on display, (5) in mine, have you checked the properties of each one, and removed the check mark, "Read only" from all of them?

If not then give this a try, re-boot and send yourself a couple of test e-mails, see what happens. Below is an exact copy of e-mail sent to me.

================================================

1) Start, find (or search) click on files and folders.

2) In the name field, type *.dbx set search to include "Local hard drives"

3) Click search now, and when results are displayed, click on the (In Folder) column heading to group items by location. Note the location of files/folders found, then use Windows Explorer to navigate to the directory that contains your current store of same.

4) Right click the first file in the folder, click on properties, then on the general tab, click to un-check the "Read only" check box, then click, OK.

5) Repeat step 4 for each file in the folder, then re-test Outlook Express.

Good luck, hope it helps a little more with this frustrating problem. J.

Djohn 16:29 23 May 2003

Are you by any chance with "Freeserve" as your ISP?

scooby43 16:37 23 May 2003

Hi Djohn

When I went into program files as u mentioned I went in to the outlook express folder in side with numerious icons I right clicked on each of them and each one i checked didnt have read only ticked, the next step
I did was check for the *.dbx in the file and search including the hidden folders it just came up with the standard outlook express names eg sent,draft, outbox etc checked each of those still no read only ticked I then went back to the outlook express folder and right clicked on there and as I mentioned it was ticked the read only and then still been getting the same results there the steps I have tried.

cheers

scooby43 16:40 23 May 2003

in regards to freeserve yes I have freeserve broadband?

Djohn 16:40 23 May 2003

And your ISP is?

Djohn 16:41 23 May 2003

OK back in a mo!

scooby43 16:42 23 May 2003

I mean everything else works fine in outlook express I can check my emails fine etc and send them its just closing it I recieve the same error each time.

Djohn 16:53 23 May 2003

This is the exact same problem with the same ISP.

Problem does not occur to me with other ISP'S.

Only difference with you and me, I am using 56k dial-up modem.

First off, I made my connection to Freeserve via their CD, this will also include their "Best number selector" program. I was having a couple of problems so gave them a call.

Help line was very good and called me back to my mobile and talked me through a complete un-install of all Freeserve settings, then gave me just the one number to set up account manually.

This worked perfect, only problem being that because I only had the one number to connect to them, I would get the engaged tone many times.

So a quick call back to them and they advised to download the "Best number dialler". I did, and although it now connected first time each time, it brought back the "Outlook Express" problem.

If you have this with B/B, it is not needed anyway, so remove it from your PC and I feel sure this will correct things for you. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts