Outlook express - 127.0.0.1

Toffly 10:39 12 Apr 2006

Howdy,

Bit of a weird, OE 6, windows XP, Supanet ISP.

My SMTP server address keeps changing to 127.0.0.1 whenever I restart the comp. Tried remaking the account, does the same. I'm quite reluctant to reload windows.

On a different logon on the comp (both have admin rights), it works fine!

I can access the mail fine on the webmail service, and can receive send fine if I change the address and then try send/receive. Will be trying Thunderbird in a little while.

Anyway, I'm stumped, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jase

Taff™ 10:54 12 Apr 2006

This is something to do with your Hosts file and I`m not sure it is legitimate. Read this click here

Now check that Supanet doesn`t use a proxy server linked to the hosts file. In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections Tab. Click on the LAN button and I think you`ll find the "Use proxy server" is ticked. Try unticking it. Does this cure the problem?

Toffly 11:14 12 Apr 2006

proxy is unticked, the host file idea looks interesting, will have a play with that

any other ideas?

Cheers

Jase

Q-Bie 11:16 12 Apr 2006

Do you have any Antispam software on your PC?

Usually antispam software will set the host to 127.0.0.1, as the antispam software is what fetches your email and filters them out. If you do, go into that and make sure all your email settings are correct.. or if you want to, remove it completely.

q

nikef 13:15 12 Apr 2006

had the same prob,could not fix it so i downloaded thunderbird and its brill

VoG II 13:40 12 Apr 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?