Outlook Explorer - refusing to load sometimes

johndrew 11:36 16 Jun 2006

Hello people,

I posted for help on this problem click here a short while ago and received good advice and help in resolving it - even though I did use Acronis and lost some messages.

Today I received the same message again (`Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded`) and went through the suggestions made but with no result. Additionally I could not find OE or Internet Explorer in Add/Remove Programs they only appeared in Add/Remove Windows Components Wizard. The opening of the .dbx folder and ensuring the files were all cleared in `Read Only` had no effect. I have compressed all messages as recommended in the MS knowledge base.

I checked the function of IE and it was fine so only OE was affected.

I restarted the PC and OE functioned as advertised.

Am I missing a trick here or is OE sometimes a bit flaky on startup?

Any help welcome and thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 16:14 16 Jun 2006

I looked at your link but it seems to be addressing Win98 & OE5, I`m on XP SP2 &OE6 (I should have said).

Having said that, all that apply are good and as I say it doesn`t happen every time - only occassionally. I feel (right or wrong) that it has something to do with the boot order but I have no idea what or how to find out.

As for Thunderbird, I did try it when I installed Firefox but we didn`t get on!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone could hit the nail.

johndrew 17:02 16 Jun 2006

I did all the first part (two paragraph actions) to ensure OE is OK earlier and as I said it appears to be a random event. If it happens again I can try removing the .dbx files etc.

At the moment it is fine but, as with this morning and previously it would not start and gave the `MSOE.DLL` message.

Previously it failed to start even after a reboot but today I rebooted and it was fine. I have shut down and started a few times since with no repetition of the event. It`s a weird thing to happen and appears to me to be something to do with the boot order or possibly a conflict that occurs randomly.

Unless of course the actions I took earlier cured some damage that was present?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Camera Phones 2019

Adobe reveals Recolor for Illustrator - change an illustration instantly with real-world tones

Apple recalls wall plugs over safety fears, find out if you are affected

Rappel de sécurité Apple : adaptateurs avec prise murale