outlook 2003 back up add on

JMTaylor 21:39 12 Feb 2005

I have downloaded this add on from MS and it asks me if i want to back up by .pst file. It then fails telling me that the file is in use? I don't know where. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but to not avail. I have XP Pro with SP2. I also use Opera as my browser and e-mail.

Diodorus Siculus 22:05 12 Feb 2005

Do you have Outlook open?

What happens in safe-mode?

JMTaylor 22:53 12 Feb 2005

Still fails with Outlook either open or not in normal mode. Works FINE when I boot in safe mode. Does that give any clues?
Thanks in anticipation.
John T

Forum Editor 23:39 12 Feb 2005

in Outlook 2003.

I think that Outlook hangs onto the file for around half an hour after it's been closed. Try leaving that kind of a period before you attempt the backup and see what happens - I'll be interested in the result.

VoG II 23:42 12 Feb 2005

I may be missing something here but I have Outlook 2003 and that add-in.

For me it simply seems to run automatically when Outlook is closed.

It will not work while Outlook is open (there was a thread about that in the mists of time).

Forum Editor 00:03 13 Feb 2005

Interesting.

It won't run for me, regardless of whether Outlook is open or closed, no matter what I do, and many people have the same problem.

VoG II 00:13 13 Feb 2005

Interesting too!

If it is relevant, I only use the E-mail facility. No scheduling or anything like that. Just a quick peek at the calendar to see what day it is.

Forum Editor 00:29 13 Feb 2005

I was tempted to delve a little deeper, and I have found what (in my case at least) was the cause of the trouble.

I run a very handy utility called Copernic Desktop search, which creates a database of all nominated files (including emails) and presents you with a list based on keywords within seconds. It's a superb tool, and I use it constantly - it loads at startup. I have just discovered that it hangs on the Outlook .pst file, even when Outlook is closed, and so the backup tool can't access it.

Once I closed the Copernic tool the Outlook backup ran perfectly.

Perhaps you have something similar running in the background, JMTaylor?

JMTaylor 07:56 13 Feb 2005

Thanks all for this. The problem was, indeed, Copernic search tool. Once that had gone I was away.
Appreciate everyone who has a look foe me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?