outlook 2000

[DELETED] 15:08 06 Oct 2003

yesterday i updated office 2000 from ms updates today i cannot send e-mail on any isp i have several can recieve no problem, i have not changed any settings. i can view web pages no problem and my ftp works, any clues.

[DELETED] 13:32 08 Oct 2003

That error message usually means that you may have the wrong mailserver typed in
your account (SMTP, POP3 addresses) or your mail server may be down. Call up your
ISP and confirm your account settings

You are trying to send emails via an SMTP server that you don't have access to.

Are the email addresses all with the company who who provide your DSL connection. If not thats why the problem has happened.

It may have been fine before, but they may have changed their settings.

Your SMTP server should ALWAYS* be the one of the ISP you are connected to the Internet via and NOT the one that your email ISP provides (unless they are the same)

Can you post the URL for the homepage of the DSL ISP you are using please?

Posting that error first time round would have been far more helpful...learn from your mistakes.

*NB Always always has exceptions.

[DELETED] 13:34 08 Oct 2003

sorry but i put that in OK GUILTY post,

update not sure sr1? did not make a note of it.

having now done a system restore that info is nolonger available as far as i know.

soy

tried that once before with another problem 12 months ago and had a nightmare so i was hoping to avoid that way round if possible.

robin

[DELETED] 14:09 08 Oct 2003

May be worth a try as Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express to function so there may be a connection.

Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP. before that,you could try, sfc /scannow,first.

Then try if no success to,

Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6,/Outlook Express

Normaly when you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message.

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps

While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

After reinstall Windows XP/2000 outlook and any updates.

[DELETED] 14:16 08 Oct 2003

sir rad

i have the following isp or server,s

yellow
1 and 1
tiscali.es
tiscali.co.uk
onetel.net

my dsl is with directway and as far as i know use's a proxy server, and i have my own ip address.

my supplier is click here hope this helps.

[DELETED] 15:09 08 Oct 2003

have tried using oe and have the same problem, uninstalled oe and ie and reinstalled them, still have the same problem, i get an error message when i open outlook 2000 which says that i need ie4 or greater etc, but i have had this for ages and it did not interfere with my e-mail or browsing.

[DELETED] 16:08 08 Oct 2003

because i use a dsl the company directway, in order to stop spam being bounce through thier servers they changed the ingoing e-mail server to a different one, and did not tell anyone, the red herring in all this is the fact that they never used a dedicated mail server it all went through the proxy server so i am told, so all of the twenty e-mails i have over five isp's had to have the smtp changed so as to send through this new server, thanks for all your help, it is a pity that when companys change settings as drastic as this they do not inform thier clients

[DELETED] 20:30 08 Oct 2003

Why not set up your own mail server so that you do not have to rely on your ISP's proxy server? I have done this although my ISP has a "proper" mail server, it saves quite a lot of the time taken in delivering to the destination as it avoids the storing and resending that occurrs when using an ISP's servers.

[DELETED] 09:53 09 Oct 2003

how did you do that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?