Out Of Memory

charlie whisky 20:34 21 Nov 2004

Hi There All Experts and Fellow Sufferers

Running 2.0GHz Athlon PC with 512MB of DDR RAM.
Internet by NTL Broadband at the moment.
Have previously been using Windows 98SE with no trouble but recently have changed to XP Home.

My new scanner came bundled with Adobe graphics sofware - now when using said graphics package I quite often get "Out of Memory" error reports even though I have 512MB on board and am unable to SAVE or continue in any manner.
(Thought I would be free from all ills when I changed to XP - was told it was "a delight and vice free" - was I misled?)

Previous threads seem to be about mainly Windows98 problems.

Any ideas folks?

Thank you all in advance.

Charlie Whisky

mattyc_92 21:07 21 Nov 2004

I also get these messages. I have 512mb or memory as well, but this normally occurs with NERO when I close it (strange ere). However try this third-party program called FREEMEM PRO 5. I use it am it is a big help. It keeps your system nice and fast and displays if the CPU's performance is being used and doesn't even intergrade with your system enough to use up any MEMORY. click here for this product

mattyc_92 21:07 21 Nov 2004

I also get these messages. I have 512mb of memory as well, but this normally occurs with NERO when I close it (strange ere). However try this third-party program called FREEMEM PRO 5. I use it am it is a big help. It keeps your system nice and fast and displays if the CPU's performance is being used and doesn't even intergrade with your system enough to use up any MEMORY. click here for this product

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 21 Nov 2004

Thought I would be free from all ills when I changed to XP - was told it was "a delight and vice free" - was I misled?

Bill got rid of the old problems and invented a few more to make us buy the next system (longhorn).

Is XP manageing your virtual memory (paging file) try looking in control panel-system-advanced-performance options-advanced set as large as possible for graphic work.

mattyc_92 21:09 21 Nov 2004

Soz about the posting the message twice, my computer froze and sent info twice

charlie whisky 19:39 22 Nov 2004

Grateful thanks to Mattyc_92 and Fruit Bat /\0/\ for their rapid responses and helpful information.
Have set performance options higher as suggested and have downloaded the Freemem program and installed it.
A quick run with the Adobe with usual setup and plugins in action shows NO problems so far, hope this continues!
NOT looking forward when I shall be FORCED to use Longhorn - I have been suffering Bill's behaviour since the old DOS 3.3 days when he made it difficult for the superior PCDOS to be used.
The latter would not work if you were trying to use any Microsoft software!!!

Superb info from both parties.
All the best to you.
Charlie Whisky

Dorsai 19:48 22 Nov 2004

And dont forget that the option to get more memory also exists. These days it is not even that expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?