Other programs running while on AOL

KARINA 08:20 07 Jun 2003

Being no computer expert........can anyone tell me why AOL is very slow.....i could make a cup of tea sometimes when waiting for a screen to change........incidentally i pressed 'Ctr',Alt &Del'......and the following programs were running while i was on AOL.........ie AOL, Explorer, Real Play, Loadqm, Rundl32, Stimon & Rnapp.........i know what aol, explorer and real play are but what are the others for and how can i stop all these other programs from running to make AOL just that bit faster.........and do i really need all these programs running at the same time......

Cesar 09:38 07 Jun 2003

Use Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Task Manager, select the programs you wish to close, and click on end task. this is only a tempory measure. you will have to edit msconfig startup to permantly stop these programmes running at startup.

KARINA 09:51 07 Jun 2003

Cesar.......... i want to be able to find out what these programs are for.....how do i go about doing that........just say if i ended all the tasks except AOL will it affect the running of AOL.......

graham√ 09:53 07 Jun 2003

If you're on XP or 2000, visit click here to refine your running programs, the links are on the left.

KARINA 09:56 07 Jun 2003

windows 98..............

Mango Grummit 09:59 07 Jun 2003

Morning KARINA, have a look at these two sites!

click here

click here

However I think you have something wrong there. AOL is very fast in normal circumstances when everything is running properly.

regards

VoG™ 10:01 07 Jun 2003

Have a look click here

graham√ 10:05 07 Jun 2003

Loadqm click here

Stimon click here

Rnapp click here

Rundll32 is part of your operating system

KARINA 10:18 07 Jun 2003

Thanks guys...........you are all so brill......especially for someone like moi who is a bit duh!!! at the basics of computing......and i just love this site.......its a godsend..........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)