ordered my first self build

dfghjkl 21:37 14 Nov 2003

well i have finaly gone and done it,i ordered my first self build it was also my first on line credit card transaction.in the end i went for msi kt4l board,amd 2500+ with fan etc,256 of 2700 mem.for £50,£72,£28 with free delivery.i was going for a savastore package but that was only 2400+ with delivery was £4 less.so for the extra £4 i can get a 2500+ barton and it will all run at 333mhz.i was going for the asrock k7s8x but was convinced by an earlier thread of mine when i was still deciding that it was a lot of trouble,you only have to read the threads this week to see that it is a troublesome board.the point i am making and the reason for this thread is to say that i could not even turn a pc on 2 years ago,my sister gave me an old p1 133mhz i soon outgrew that and moved on and have had them in pieces many times,having a tinker and the help that i have had from this site has been priceless.i am sure i will be posting many questions next week when my parcel comes,not bad for a chippy boatbuilder,keep up the good work and thanks

keith-236785 22:06 14 Nov 2003

well done, we look forward to being able to help you (if you need it, & if we can).

the feeling when you do your first build, turn it on with fingers crossed and it works IS GREAT.

if it doesnt work, don't get angry, just go back to the start and try again.
My little bit of advice is to start with the basic system, M/B, proc & fan, memory, 1 hard drive, 1 cd rom, floppy drive & graphic card. add the rest later once the system is working and windows is installed.

good luck with your project.

Quiller. 22:45 14 Nov 2003

Good luck M8.

Once you have done the first one the bug starts to bite. ;)

Djohn 22:56 14 Nov 2003

Yep! I watched your threads and seen your questions over the past months and now here you go! well done, wish you the best of luck. I'm sure all will go well for you but if not, then you know that the guys on here will soon have any problems sorted for you. j.

dfghjkl 21:43 15 Nov 2003

thanks all and to Djohn all the people who have helped me in the past are too many to name but i can always rely from good advice from you and woodchip(also a chippy i think)jester,diesse,etc. the mrs is not overkeen on my new hobby (lifestyle)but i justify it with the kids,homework games etc.she is warming to it especialy when i told her that i would not be replacing our aged stereo and that the pc is to become our new cd player and radio,if my 3 year old can turn the pc on and off then she has got no excuses,anyway i have had a conformation e mail and my bits are on there way i am as exited as my kids are on christmas day,is that sad or what?

Legolas 21:50 15 Nov 2003

Yes it is sad lol.....but I feel the same way when waiting for stuff to arrive when i,m building a system......first build scary isnt it.

Good luck mate!

Although you shouldnt need it! Tis simple to do even the kid will be doing it in a few year's!

Just remember though when everything is in, treble check everything.....

I have built 6 with my next one hopefully tomorrow (Rebuild of a one of my PC that i broke :-( ).

But just take your time!

And saviour the first time it POST's properly!

dfghjkl 22:14 15 Nov 2003

i know that when i am ready to press the start button i will have butterflys and probably wait till the kids are in bed to avoid a red face if it wont start.i guess i will just connect the basics first and before i reformat and reload xp i wont be able to stop myself from letting it boot up,just to see if it works.

james1` 07:05 16 Nov 2003

If you are getting the Heatsink/Fan Cooler supplied with the AMD2500 Barton Cpu you might find the cpu temp the wrong side of 50c.I had to buy a seperate Heatsink/fan to bring the temp down to 40c

rickf 11:55 16 Nov 2003

You will never look back once you have built one. Don't be discouraged if you ran into hiccups. They are resolvable.

dfghjkl 17:24 16 Nov 2003

thanks i will keep an eye on temps,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?