Orange DNS Problems?

TonyThePM 11:44 01 Jun 2007

Hi Folks, for 3 days I´ve been unable to get into the ryanair web site. My ISP is orange, and I´m connected via their livebox with their standard settings. I get a "server not found" error as the page times out after about 20 seconds. I have two PCs (one XP, one VISTA) and a laptop (XPMCE) connected to the livebox, all give the same problem whether using Firefox or IE7.

I thought it might be a DNS problem at orange, and I´ve tried typing the IP address instead of the URL, but still no joy. I´ve tried IPCONFIG /flushDNS to see if there might be a local problem, but nothing.

I cannot change the DNS settings in the router (there is probably a config page in there somewhere, but I haven´t found it!!)

If I connect the laptop via my mobile I can connect to the web site.

So, I still cannot find if the problem is my livebox router, or my local network or a problem at orange. I´ve posted on the orange internet forum, and a few other users seem to have a problem too.

Anyone any suggestions for further things to try here, or is it orange/ryanair that is the problem?

Needless to say, orange tech support have been less than helpful suggesting that I try again later!

Grateful for any feedback or suggestions, but changing ISP is not on for the moment ;)

TonyThePM 11:50 01 Jun 2007

Couple of other notes, I´ve tried disabling AVG antivirus and the Windows Firewall, leaving just the livebox firewall in place. Any other web site comes up fine, and no problems with email etc. This is a very site specific problem with ryanair dot com and bookryanair dot com

ventanas 12:17 01 Jun 2007

I had something similar last year, also with a Livebox. There were three sites I couldn't access, but anywhere else, like here at work, there was no problem. I cured it by going into the Livebox settings and removing all security ( it didn't like it) and then re-enabling.

Might also work for you.

TonyThePM 13:58 01 Jun 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn´t tried disabling the livebox firewall. I set the livebox to "disabled" with windows firewall "on", but no joy. I´m obviously cautious about disabling both firewalls!

Appreciate your time!

I´ve run a full virus check, spybot S&D and ad-aware deleted caches and cookies, logged off the livebox and back on, powered everything down and rebooted, and can´t see what else I can try.

Cheers
Ray

ventanas 14:22 01 Jun 2007

Hi, I didn't mean the Livebox firewall. (I permanently disabled that months ago) I removed the WPA security for a brief time, and then reinstated it. it was this that was blocking the sites.

Dipso 14:45 01 Jun 2007

You could try Open DNS click here and apply the settings on your PC rather than the Livebox.

I had some problems accessing certain sites via my ISP recently and Opens DNS resolved this.

It's reversable if you later find the problem corrects itself.

TonyThePM 14:58 01 Jun 2007

Hi Ventanas, the problem occurs on both wired and wireless connections so I don´t think this is WPA/WEP issue.

Dipso:
I tried OpenDNS last night before posting, setting the DNS in the TCP/IP properties on one PC. That worked, except it gave me some strange links to different pages than those I was expecting on the ryanair web site, including a few "cached" pages that I wasn´t happy with.

As I want to do some online bookings with my credit card, I baled out of further investigation!

However, it worked enough for me to think the main problem I´m seeing is with the Orange DNS servers.

Cheers

TonyThePM 14:58 01 Jun 2007

Hi Ventanas, the problem occurs on both wired and wireless connections so I don´t think this is WPA/WEP issue.

Dipso:
I tried OpenDNS last night before posting, setting the DNS in the TCP/IP properties on one PC. That worked, except it gave me some strange links to different pages than those I was expecting on the ryanair web site, including a few "cached" pages that I wasn´t happy with.

As I want to do some online bookings with my credit card, I baled out of further investigation!

However, it worked enough for me to think the main problem I´m seeing is with the Orange DNS servers.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?