Opinions please.....

[DELETED] 13:55 13 Oct 2003

click here
New to webdesign, just finished this site for some friends.
They didnt want anything flashy which is good seeing as I am a newbie.

I know I need to change the links to change colour when hovered.

I would like to sort out the code so it is tidier as I started using dreamweaver and then when the trial ran out moved over to FP2000 = code is a bit messy, anyone know of a utility I can use to tidy this up.

Cheers for any comments

Forum Editor 22:41 13 Oct 2003

to web design this is a very creditable effort. Your site does the one thing that a web site needs to do if it is to be a success - it grabs the visitor's attention.

Of course there are things that could be improved - having a scroll bar in a form isn't ideal, and the more so because it merges into the background. Consider making the page larger, and inserting thr text into a table for a tighter control over positioning.

The text would possibly lose a little tension if you varied the font size more as well - so that headers and body text were more distinct.

These are minor quibbles - the site does its job very well as it stands.

[DELETED] 23:07 13 Oct 2003

As FE states, a very worthy effort - well done. Apart from pointers given by FE I do think that the navigation links could do with being more prominent, possibly using a button 'style' menu.

[DELETED] 23:34 13 Oct 2003

Cheers both of you.

I am in the process of designing some buttons.
I want to do them from scratch as apposed to downloading them, so I will see how they come out and use them instead of just text.

Its funny what you (FE) say about the form, I got the idea to use slices and have the individual pages within the homepage from a tutorial but the one page I didnt like the look of was the contact page.
The guys I designed this for couldnt see how to scroll down until I showed them the coloured scrollbar so I am concerned that others may have difficulty also.

I think that will have to be changed soon. My only concern is that a cgi script was created by the hosting company as I couldnt do it and I am worried about messing up what they have done for me. I will just have to spend some time looking at it and figure it out.

I think also that page could be condensed slightly.

Anyway thanks for your comments, I am really pleased that PCA has this website section as knowing of many of the guys from the helproom I was assured a helpful response as always.
Cheers

Forum Editor 23:48 13 Oct 2003

I can soon provide you with a new one if yours doesn't work. I'm sure it will work however - all you're going to do is change the size of the page to show the whole form. The script simply sends the form results to the server's sendmail facility.

[DELETED] 14:42 15 Oct 2003

excellent first effort. are you sure you havent done one before? you have a lot of tricks on it!

anyway, i would have to say that the scroll bar in the middle is quite annoying.

also, when i view it on 800x600, there is a scroll bar across the bottom. just thought i'd let you know.

but overall, nice one!

[DELETED] 18:05 15 Oct 2003

I havent done one before honest. I did pick up a copy of Practical Web Projects though and thook it from there.

I must admit the inlaid scroll bar is starting to annoy me. I liked it to begin with as I used photoshop to do the background with slices keeping the skyline in view at all times.

Im not really sure what to do now as a change such as getting rid of the toolbar would require a complete change and im not sure if I want to do that.

Plus my trials of Photoshop and Dreamweaver have ended and I cant afford to buy them....... Time to get the violin out!!!!

Cheers for your comments.

[DELETED] 11:33 19 Oct 2003

click here

I have amended the contact page so it should all fit without that annoying scroll bar.

I seem to have an error on the homepage though and cant figure out what is wrong with it, am I missing something?

Also I hope my amending of the contact page hasnt prevented it from working. I amended it late last night and tried it unfortunatley I emailed the guys to say I had changed it and asked them to make sure they received my dummy request but they havent replied. I dont have the email account to try it so I will just have to wait for them to come back to me. I really must learn the cgi stuff.

Cheers

[DELETED] 11:46 19 Oct 2003

Well I know the script is still working as I found the mail settings and setup the account and received another test enquiry I sent. So thats good.

Still cant figure out what the error is on the home page though.

Love the new PCA site.

[DELETED] 17:25 20 Oct 2003

click here

There is a snip of Zonealarm code in your source.

It seems you run zonealarm pro.

[DELETED] 18:58 20 Oct 2003

Oh yeah, cheers mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?