opening a port to aloow a program to work

woofwoofbark 05:00 10 Feb 2006

Hi I have just bought a US Robotics router with built in modem , I was using a p2p program called DC++ with a BT Voyager ADSL USB Modem windows wouldnt shutdown (i had to manually turn of the pc) when using the bt modem and DC , but with the US Robotics USR9003 windows closes no problem , but ... How do I open a port and which IP addy to I insert to the router for DC ? I have a dynamic IP that changes everytime windows is rebooted ..... I know that to add a port (i think this is the way to do it) i goto Firewall>NAT>Port Range Mappings

I can add a details i.e.:-

Public Address: 81.132.76.22 ppp0 0/38
Public Port From:
Public Port To:
LocaL Address:
Local Port From :
Local Port To:
Protocol : TCP

do I add the same port number for each Public Port and Local Port , but what is my Local Address and where can I find it ? I have to re-add the above details but change TCP for UDP ?

Im sorry if I havnt explained too good , firstly i have no or little knowledge of comps plus im heading to bed soon ( tired lol )

Hope someone can understand this and can help , Ive checked the net for guidance but have come unstuck

woofwoofbark 14:42 10 Feb 2006

bump

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:03 10 Feb 2006

I do not know about configuring modem ports etc. I always thought you installed a software firewall on your comp and it decided what it allows with your permission.

Snec 19:45 10 Feb 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?