OPENING UP AN EPSON STYLUS COLOR 500

nundrey 22:11 08 Sep 2005

HELP.....ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN LET ME KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE TOP COVER OFF THIS PRINTER!!!
I HAVE TAKEN TWO SCREWS OUT...BUT...CANNOT FIND ANY OTHER OBVIOUS POINTS...COVER WILL ONLY BUDGE PARTIALLY...DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT...I HAVE SPENT HOURS...BUT NO JOY...AM I MISSING SOMETHING...HELP.I NEED TO GET ACCESS TO THE HEADS TO CLEAN THEM....THE EPSON 740 WAS EASIER TO OPEN UP!!!!??
NKC

jack 16:03 09 Sep 2005

Please dont use capitals- thats like shouting
very bad manners.

I did take a 500 apart once.about 3 years ago
As i recall two screws deep down at back and similar at front under the cover.
but careful examination will reveal all.
You could also try

click here.
Then look up the make/model.

Just remember these things asre snapped together by low paid slaves in a hot far east land. If they can do it- you can undo it -just take your time.
One last point there is nood to do this to clean the heads. Indeed you will have a hell of as time getting it all back together and then work--- this is experience speaking.
Try this.
Take the carts out
Find a syringe or sqeezy plastic[refill] bottle .
Asl a length of heavy duty cable conductor with the copper stripped out[6 inches] or a drinking straw.pierce the bottle cap and fit the straw.
Check the fit of the straw over the 'spikes'
that go into the carts.
Now half fill the bottle with distilled water and a dash ol alcohol.
Squeeze the botle back and forth to that you get a pumping action.
Have plenty of to tissue to hand to mop up.
Whilst you are at it. if you have been experiencing inky stripes- the waste ink pads could do with a wash and dry out - anther messy job for a Sunday.
You may also find click here utility useful

woodchip 16:12 09 Sep 2005

Don't think the printer being so old is worth mending. Last time I took a Epson apart very messy and finished up in the Bin, not me it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 09 Sep 2005

2 screws at back in deep recesses.

Turn upside down and you will see clips at front. small flat blade screw driver to prise apart.

Nuneatonian 17:56 09 Sep 2005

Hi just saw your post
I have just made an attempt to get my pads out of my epson 480. Got in a right inky mess, can't get the stuff off my hand. Also can't get the bottom pad out. If you do manage to remove your pads your pads let me know how. Please!!
Hi again Fruit BAT

Nuneatonian 17:57 09 Sep 2005

Hi again
I repeated myself in my last message, sorry, I'm just tired

nundrey 18:46 09 Sep 2005

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Jack,I did download manual from fixyourownprinter.com....very good,but have to get into the printer first.Your suggestion is excellent...will try over weekend.
Will have a go ref. the suggestions given,and let you all know the end result.Cheers all.Have a great weekend.Regards NKC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?