Open the wi fi connection manager

bumpkin 14:40 26 Aug 2018

I want to instal a new router/modem but don't want to screw it up and lose all connection. I am using W10 and part of the router instructions says "Open the WiFi connection manager on your computer" Can somebody clarify what i have to do please.

difarn 15:25 26 Aug 2018

Are you connecting your PC via ethernet or wifi? If by ethernet, connect an ethernet cable from your pc to the router, power up your router and wait for all lights to go green. You should then be connected and a square symbol should be visible in the task bar at the bottom right of your screen.

If you want wifi = click start button bottom lef, choose settings, click the network and internet symbol. Windows will then find all available wifi connections - click on the one that relates to your router - click on connect - put in the password (may be called network security key by windows 10) that should be on the router and you should be connected.

There may be a shortcut to this if your taskbar, bottom right, shows a wifi symbol. If so you could simply right click on it and available wireless networks will be displayed, click on connect, enter password, and you should be connected.

bumpkin 15:54 26 Aug 2018

Thank difarn, that seems clear enough. The router also has its own password and from what I can remember that is entered through a browser by typing in an IP address, am I correct?

rdave13 16:40 26 Aug 2018

Yes. It's usually 192.168.1. 1 Have a look at the router's manual but most times the default user name and password is Admin. link

This should help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 26 Aug 2018

Yes, but you only need the password to enter the routers admin pages where you fiddle with settings. you don't need it to connectif it has been preset by your ISP. If not then you may need to find out what settings your ISP uses so you can setup the new router to match.

Its a good idea to change the password rather than leave the default one in place to prevent hackers getting easy access to the router settings

bumpkin 16:55 26 Aug 2018

rdave, your first link gives me the netgear number which is what I need. As for talktalk, completely useless which is why I ended up having to buy my own router.

bumpkin 16:57 26 Aug 2018

OK, time to go for it, if you never hear from me again then failure:-)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs