Open ports ! What do I do?

SB23 21:19 09 Dec 2003

Having just run a security scan on my pc,imagine my absolute shock to discover that I have a couple of ports open,(all the others are running stealth),and that these ports could be vulnerable to attack.Despite all my efforts,(I'm still a novice),how do I find out what these ports are doing,and if poss,how do I close them.So far I cannot find any info anywhere,to help me.I run NIS '03,and XP,and thought all bases were covered,I'm concerned because a mate thought he was safe last week,but a hacker got in,and did alot of damage.Am I stupid to be so worried?...Sb

powerless 21:22 09 Dec 2003

Colse 'em!

...with a firewall click here

powerless 21:22 09 Dec 2003

You can CLOSE them to if you want!

Mike574 23:47 09 Dec 2003

Try the leaktest on the site click here . It has some useful info.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:32 10 Dec 2003

'a mate thought he was safe last week,but a hacker got in,and did alot of damage'.....your 'mate' was wrong, he did not get hacked. He might have got a trojan or worm but firewalls will not stop these. All a firewall will do is hide your ports. The ports are still there and it is obvious to anyone with a little computer knowledge where they are. hackers are not interested in home computers and theya re not what hackers are about.

If you have a good, UP TO DATE AV you will be fine and if you feel that you need a firewall then try Powerless's suggestion or outpost from click here. You may like to look at the 'I do not use a firewall' thread.....click here

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?