Open Office Org

[email protected] 17:56 01 Dec 2005

Is it any good and apart from the obvious price difference, how does it compare with MS Office?

ade.h 18:35 01 Dec 2005

I've read a number of online comments and reviews that talked about it being very slow; apparently to do with the file format (XML I think). This sort of put me off trying it, so I've stuck with Office 2000, which I know my way around quite well. I tried Ability Office recently though, and that was very good. I chose not to purchase but it's a bargain; the bits that I picked (WP, spreadsheet, database, etc) would cost about £28 I think.

€dstowe 18:36 01 Dec 2005

Try it and see. You can always remove it if you don't like it.

[email protected] 18:44 01 Dec 2005

Hi and thanks. It's not for me it's for a chum who has just invested in a bare-bones PC [see the 56k modem thread running]. It came with the minimum of s/w and the shop itself suggest the freebee; I just wondered how it ran and of course if it is not liked then the purchased version of Office is the answer - at a price.

Skills 18:53 01 Dec 2005

I havent personally used it but I read a recent review of version 2 and it good a very good write up. It will support MS Office file formats and as has been said its free so you've got nothing to lose by trying it out.

[email protected] 20:12 01 Dec 2005

Thanks for the feedback and like you say - nothing to lose. Will give it a go as it's better than nothing which is what they have at the moment!
Cheers.

interzone55 21:33 01 Dec 2005

I use it occasionally, I've found it to be easy to use and very stable. I would use it more but it isn't 100% compatible with MS Office 2003, which I use for work & college, certain features do not transfer totally, like inline images and large indexes. Also the database isn't Access compatible at all, which is the feature I use most.

If I didn't use MS Office at all, I definately would use OpenOffice because it has all the features a home user needs, and it's totally free.

If downloading is a problem (which it will be on dial -up) most magazines have the latest release on their disks this month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?