Open in new page

[DELETED] 13:21 05 Jan 2006

Can you advise me what code I need to add to a web page to make it 'open in a new page'?

Regards,
Jezzy

beynac 14:29 05 Jan 2006

Try:

<A HREF="newpage.htm" TARGET="_new">Page name</A>

[DELETED] 16:15 05 Jan 2006

<A HREF="newpage.htm" TARGET="_blank">Page name</A>

beynac 16:38 05 Jan 2006

I think they both give the same result. I'm not sure what the difference is. I just happened to use "_new" the first time I did it and I've stuck with it!

beynac 16:52 05 Jan 2006

Very interesting! I checked in my HTML reference books and "_blank" is correct. I can't remember where I got the "_new" from, but it appears to be wrong. I have experimented with this and it appears that, if you put a hyphen followed by anything that is not a "magic code", the page will open in a new window. eg "_wen" and "_zoob" both work. Oh well, I had better go and change my website!

beynac 17:14 05 Jan 2006

Sorry, should have said "underscore" not "hyphen" in the above.

Forum Editor 17:27 05 Jan 2006

You should use 'blank'.

If you want more than one link to open a new page you don't have to code each one individually, you can set a default for your webpage like this:

<base target="_blank">

[DELETED] 19:06 05 Jan 2006

Thanks for the help!

What about code for 'bookmark this page' ?

[DELETED] 19:19 05 Jan 2006

hi all this is a long shot .is there anyone that could advise or talk to me direct about about my web site and google as im new to all this
thanks. marteeny

[DELETED] 20:02 05 Jan 2006

There's a guide on how to produce a 'Bookmark this page' link - click here

[DELETED] 20:28 05 Jan 2006

Well, I'm glad that what I thought was correct and have used so far, is correct! I had avoiding responding in case I was wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Central Saint Martins (CSM) illustration and graphic design

Best Mac monitors & displays 2018

Sécurité : comment protéger votre iPhone contre les pirates informatiques ?