one for the sparky's

sinbad1 20:31 17 Dec 2005

Of late we have been experiencing mains power fluctuations.
The server which supplies us with our wireless connection has also had problems,all equipment is protected by power surges.

As i understand it power spikes can cause damage to sensitive equipment such as pc's.

I have noticed that the lights tend to dim somewhat and then later brighten, so i decided to check the mains voltage.
When the lights dim the voltage reads 190V.

My question is what would the effect of a reduced voltage have on equipment designed to run on 240V? and if there is how can i protect my computer from this sag in voltage.

DieSse 20:43 17 Dec 2005

With a UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply.

Many PSUs in PCs these days are specced for a wide voltage range - 110v to 240V - so low voltage fluctuations shouldn't worry them. It's overvoltages that normally cause problems. A UPS or Surge suppressor will protect you against overvoltages.

DieSse 20:44 17 Dec 2005

With a UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply.

Many PSUs in PCs these days are specced for a wide voltage range - 110v to 240V - so low voltage fluctuations shouldn't worry them. It's overvoltages that normally cause problems. A UPS or Surge suppressor will protect you against overvoltages.

sinbad1 20:58 17 Dec 2005

Thanks for your response seems strange since the voltage sags have been happening two adsl routers have been damaged, my battery charger also damaged. I have not recorded any overvoltages, as surge protectors are installed should take care of the spikes.

DieSse 21:10 17 Dec 2005

*two adsl routers have been damaged, my battery charger also damaged*

But they don't run off the PC PSU - and in any case brown-outs may be accompanied by other nasties.

BRYNIT 21:32 17 Dec 2005

Have you reported this problem to the electricity company.

sinbad1 21:37 17 Dec 2005

not sure what you mean brownouts? the items i refer to are powered by the mains 240V.

sattman 21:46 17 Dec 2005

The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002, which came into force on the 31st January 2003, replacing The Electricity Supply Regulations 1998, formally confirm the UK standardised supply voltage tolerances at 230V -6% to +10%.

Report the problem to your supply company and ask for an investigation

octal 21:49 17 Dec 2005

I think what DieSse is saying that, that amount of voltage sage should not happen.

Voltage sags can be accompanied by harmonic distortion which will kill inductive devices like transformers which you have in your routers and battery charger, that's why they have been damaged, I like to call it bad electricity to be non-technical.

Normally the supply authority cuts the mains supply rather than let this situation happen, best to speak to them as BRYNIT says.

sattman 21:59 17 Dec 2005

This is a bit ott, but expanding from DieSse's reply it may help to explain how you might be effected

click here

woodchip 22:24 17 Dec 2005

brownouts, American Slang for Power cut. Spikes are the ones to worry about

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)