Old email address pwned. Should I worry?

wiganken2 13:11 22 Aug 2018
Answered

Using the website haveibeenpwned.com I found that an email address I haven't used in two years was pwned in two places. The email address was ISP related and, having left that ISP and no longer paying them, the account and email address are no longer active. My new email address uses a very different and more complicated password. Since my old email address is 'dead' I assume it cannot be used by hackers so do I need to worry that my old email address has been pwned?

wee eddie 14:57 22 Aug 2018

To the best of my knowledge. If no one replies, then they can do nothing.

MJS WARLORD 17:51 22 Aug 2018

my isp is BT and I got spammed many years ago in the first 10 mins of turning my pc on cos a had not got a clue what I was doing , they told me to set up a new email address and said the one I had set up first would quote..... burn itself out if not used for a certain length of time , don't know if that still applies.

BTW how I got spammed …. as I said I was a noob at the time , I updated the pre installed quicktime and a few other pre loaded items because I was told to, I then got a box on screen saying " gator.com needs to install a piece of software to run the site I was on...… as I say I was a complete novice and 15 years ago gator was the "phone book" of spywear. … say 2 hours I got dozens of junk emails and at the time I had not even worked out how to even send one.

wiganken2 08:06 23 Aug 2018
Answer

Sounds about right. My 'dead' email address can't be used even by me so I suppose a spammer/hacker can't use it either. I'll call this thread 'answered' if I don't get any more input after a couple of days. Thanks guys.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)