Oh what a mess!!! Dial up/windows 98 probs.

Epirb406 17:09 26 Feb 2003

OK, starters, know I probably caused this but have spent 3 days trying to solve it!!

Pentium II, windows 98 (1st ed). Connecting to internet with a Tipa P PCI ISDN Terminal adapter, using microsoft dial up adapter, single channel.

With two separate ISPs the connection is dialling, verifying password and logging on to network.

When connected I can ping websites so obviously a connection is made.

When I launch IE Explorer or opera I get page cannot be found messages. Outlook express gives a cannot find server message. I cannot access the web at all.

I have: Uninstalled and reinstalled the Terminal adapter. Uninstalled and reinstalled Dial up networking, dialup adaptors and IE5 and outlook express. I have upgraded and susequently downgraded to/from IE and outlook express 6.I have also reinstalled windows though with this being one of those PCs that came without disks this won't be a 'clean install'

Probable cause(?????????????????) I have been trying to connect 2 computers with a LAN and got well out of my depth, could I have caused this problem??

Many thanks for any help, links, suggestions in advance and I promise never to intefere in what I don't understand again, sincerely, Barney S.

Epirb406 18:25 26 Feb 2003

Sorry to be impatient, borrowed machine has to go back soon....Barney

Epirb406 18:54 02 Mar 2003

New O/S, three more days and still trying to catch up!

For future reference, any particular reason why this post didn't get any response?

Chhers, Barney

he he :-) 19:05 02 Mar 2003

no 1 has any ideas probably.

Epirb406 19:55 10 Oct 2003

I found all the answers here: click here a winsock2 problem in my case, hope it helps someone as now I've cracked it I'm having much more fun!!!

Cheers, Epirb.

cottager 20:23 10 Oct 2003

Wish I'd known about this site before as I had a similar problem and, like you, spent many days trying to sort it and almost ended up bald!! Glad you are having fun now but how did you find the site? I finally found a friendly computer expert who sorted my problem out.
Cottager

Epirb406 21:54 10 Oct 2003

believe it or not, I typed something like ME network help into Google, and a long term mystry was solved!

Epirb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)