Offline Printer - printer won't print.

machow 18:45 05 Feb 2005

I have recently bought a new printer -Canon Pixma 4000. I have installed all the drivers etc and the printer will work fine untill the next time I use it.

I turn the PC and Printer on, go to print something, but a status pop up states 'printer is offline'. I deselect 'Use printer offline' but the printer will not work.

Only way I can get it to then work is by reinstalling the software.
I use a Windows XP os.
I have tried it on another PC and it works with no problems.
thanks in advance for any help.

FelixTCat 19:15 05 Feb 2005

Go to Canon's website and look for newer drivers. If there are any, download and install them.

JIM 19:20 05 Feb 2005

Not acquainted with your printer. Have you checked in the print manager and uncheck offline if that is included within your software settings at all.

machow 19:24 05 Feb 2005

Hi, thanks for quick responses.

I have unchecked the 'Offline' box, but this actually seems to make problem worse.

Will check for newer drivers, but only bought the printer 2 weeks ago.....

Paul M 19:29 05 Feb 2005

Maybe you could try making a note of all the settings when you have installed the printer and then checking that they are the same next time you use it.

FelixTCat 19:33 05 Feb 2005

You often find that the drivers included with a product have been superceded, usually because a problem has been found. The driver disks could have been pressed long before your individual printer was manufactured, let alone sold.

JIM 19:39 05 Feb 2005

Nothing wrong in going for new drivers though i agree that what you have, should work.

Have you made sure you have followed the installation instructions fully before you connected your printer,and rebooted. May be worth a check and uninstall all again and cleanup before reinstall - - ?

Every thing is showing up in the divice manager without any conflicts including the USB Controllers etc.Are you running a networking system? Printer showing in the control panel etc.

The above is not to teach/ask you to suck eggs :) but there must be something pretty simple that is being overlooked here.

machow 00:34 06 Feb 2005

Going to go through all the settings today to check if anything is incorrect.

have had to uninstall the software and re-install when I want to use the printer which is a pain. Its odd but last printer (a lexmark) I had wouldnt work either. Thats reason for buying the new one.

Going to check over everything you have all suggested and see if I can resolve the issue.......so i'll let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?