Office - Change Owners Name

Taff36 21:55 14 Mar 2005

I have been given an old Win98 machine that belonged to a local GP. Basically I have cleaned every reference, file, MRU etc but before I pass it on to a worthwhile home I need to change the owners name that appears whenever I open Word. Excel or Publisher. (The name appears on the splashscreen and of course if you go to Help>about)

I have scoured the registry but can`t find the string even after searching. Any clues?

Graham ® 12:50 21 Mar 2005

From previous experience, a format may be your only option. As you have the '98 discs, you would only lose the office programs.

It would still be of value to a worthwhile home without them, but as I said, they are cheaply obtainable on Ebay.

Taff36 13:51 21 Mar 2005

Graham - Thanks I think you`re right but I will hang on for a bit in case I can lay my hands on someone elses legit discs and simply change the names. (After all they are licensed, I just don`t know the CD Key)

Graham ® 15:19 21 Mar 2005

Belarc or Everest will give the CD key.

Taff36 15:28 21 Mar 2005

I`ve run Belarc but for Word & Excel it gives the Licence number not the CD Key. The licence number includes "OEM" which I can`t enter when requested to do so. But I see where you`re going I think. (If acceptable could I use the envelope to mail you?)

Graham ® 19:50 21 Mar 2005

I thought it was the '98 CD key you needed.

Feel free to mail me, but I can't think of any other way to help you.

Kalb 20:57 21 Mar 2005

Try this link although I found it easier to re-install the software in the end
click here

Taff36 10:37 22 Mar 2005

Thanks for That one. I`ll have a look tonight but I suspect that the registered owner (which I have already changed) only relates to the Windows 98 for which I have disk and licence anyway.

Thanks anyway Graham as you have probably noticed from my first thread It`s the preinstalled Word & Excel that I have the problem with but no disks were provided for these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sea of Thieves Review

Dell Canvas review: the cheap Wacom Cintiq alternative

How to use iMovie for Mac, tips and more

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?