OEM Win XP + Hard-drive upgrade...

instant^mash 02:07 14 May 2003

Hello, my PC like many others came with windows (XP) pre-installed.

I want to upgrade my hard-drive (5400 to 7200 + larger) BUT my only means to re-install windows is with the restore disks, which I think must only work with the PC's original configuration!

My question is this.

If I were to borrow a friends copy of XP but utilise the license that I posess - would this work? Or is there some intrinsic element of OEM windows that would prevent me from doing this?

Any info or experiences appreciated.

TC

John-259217 02:20 14 May 2003

The short answer is no, his copy is registered and activated using his product number (the activation part records details of the hardware its installed on).

I would suggest using either Powerquest DriveImage 2002 or Norton Ghost to clone your old drive to your new one and providing you with good backup software as well.

Of the two I find PQ Drive Image easier to use but its a personal choice.

John-259217 02:28 14 May 2003

Although, to expand on the "no", I have done something similar when swapping between my own systems and the several copies of XP that I have, the result appears to be that you ring Microsoft, quote the number thrown up by the install program, they then give you another that makes it work!

Not quite sure how this defeats piracy? Maybe if they see the same being registered too often they`ll start asking more questions?

As I only use 1 legally owned copy per system, I would argue quite strongly for my rights to remove and change any or all in any way I need too!

jeez 03:33 14 May 2003

I would think your original restore disks would work fine, I know one major manufacturer uses "tatoo's" to ensure the pc is the original one, one on the recovery cd's, one on the original hd, and one in the bios. If the restore cd's tatoo matched that of the bios, it goes ahead, simirlarly, if the hd tatoo matches the bios, that's fine too (the latter only applies if you are recovering from a recovery partition on the hdd). It's still a good idea though to clone the old hdd just in case. Would it be practical to leave your current hdd in and use it as primary and ue the second hdd as slave?

DieSse 10:37 14 May 2003

"If I were to borrow a friends copy of XP but utilise the license that I posess - would this work? Or is there some intrinsic element of OEM windows that would prevent me from doing this"

I can't see any legal or moral objection to doing this - it's one copy only, your paid for licence - where the copy is stored is hardly relevant.

BUT - the various versions of XP have licence numbers which identify what type of CD/licence you have - and tend not to work with different types. For instance, all English OEM CDs of a particular revision, will work with any licence number from the same batch - but not with a licence number of a different type (eg from a full retail version, or from a Spanish version)

instant^mash 00:56 16 May 2003

Thanks guys, I'll keep you informed on what happens - I have yet to buy the drive so its all hypothetical at the moment!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?