OEM and the legalities

Tycho 17:19 31 Dec 2004

I have been noticing a number of advertsiments for OEM software recently. I thought that OEM was installed on a new machine by the dealer and was offered at reduced price. If buy it separately doesn't it contravene copyright or something?

N

Tycho 17:22 31 Dec 2004

Apologies to one and all. I thought that I had posted this to consumer watch. I'll not post it there now or I will commit another sin of cross posting. :-(

T

Forum Editor 18:37 31 Dec 2004

To be technically correct, OEM software (and here I'm talking about Microsoft software) must only be sold with a new computer OR a 'substantial' item of hardware, such as a motherboard.

I have also seen many advertisements offering OEM copies of Windows XP as standalone items, and when I've spoken to Microsoft about it I've recieved a vague and inconclusive answer. The company pays lip service to its own terms and conditions, but doesn't seem that concerned.

Forum Editor 18:40 31 Dec 2004

that the OEM licence 'dies' with the computer on which the software was first installed - you may not legally install it on another computer.

GaT7 18:57 31 Dec 2004

When you say 'die' do you mean the 'death' of the motherboard or hard disk or PSU...? It's a bit confusing! G

Tycho 19:21 31 Dec 2004

I suppose if MS itslf only pays lip service then my consicence would be clear if I pay the same degree of lip service.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)