OE wants me to redial existing connection

palinka 14:43 07 Sep 2003

A minor but irritating problem.
I run WXP and my isp is freeserve.
After I've sent & received mail, if I stay on-line while I write another email and then click "send" I frequently see a dialogue box that says "A dial-up networking connection is already established to Freeserve." It offers 2 buttons: Try to locate the server on the current connection; or (and this is button is ticked by default) Hang up and dial Freeserve. There is a final tick box "Don't warn me about this".
As Freeserve is my only ISP this is very irritating. It doesn't happen on my other computer on which I access the same ISp account on the same phone line. I've probably ticked/not ticked something somewhere, but don't know what. Any suggestions?

krypt1c 15:56 07 Sep 2003

Although you don't have another ISP, have you ever had one ? Are you trying to send using an old ISP email address ? You normally can't send other than from the ISP you are logged onto. If you are using an email account from a previous ISP you can still send when on with freeserve by changing the SMTP to be the freeserve one ie smtp.freeserve.net

Megatyte 16:01 07 Sep 2003

In OE click Tools - Accounts. Select your mail account and click Properties. Under the 'Connection' tab take the tick out of 'Always connect to this account using'.

AH

palinka 18:04 07 Sep 2003

thank you both; Megatyte solved it. Thank you Megatyte.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)