Odd Power Issues—Need Help Solving

bmxsummoner101 19:50 13 Jan 2014

Hi All,

I've been having some problems with my pc (built 2 years ago) which I thought I narrowed down to a single source, the psu. The plan is to do a breadboard for further tests, but just I wanted to run this against you guys in the hope of saving what might unnecessary troubleshooting.

My computer won't straight-up boot-up. I've found a workaround where I would hold the power button, turn it off on the sockets, and then back on on the socket then the computer power button in quick succession. I had always thought this was a PSU issue, so I finally got round to requesting an RMA and sourcing a temporary replacement psu. Upon using the replacement, though, the problem has exacerbated.

It no longer powers on. The odd thing, though, is that if I take out the 8-pin cpu and PCI-E cable from the psu, it powers up — the fans spin and indicator lights on the motherboard light up.

Which leads me to think it's not a psu problem. But if it was a motherboard or a case shorting problem, how is it that the issue is not replicated? What could be the likely culprit/s?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope everyone's day is going well!

Regards, AS

System:

Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard Intel i7-3930K Seasonic X-660 (Temp. replacement is a Corsair AX-760) GSkill Ripjaws Z Series 1600 CL 9.0 16GB Memory Kit Currently using 2 different low-end fanless GPUs and 6 fans in total

northumbria61 11:44 14 Jan 2014

Anything here to help? enter link description here

bumpkin 12:32 14 Jan 2014

Bit of a long shot but worth checking for a damaged USB port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?